Celebrix

Marls
on 5/16/12 12:36 am - Canada
Hi all,

Have any of you been on celebrix prior to your RNY and what do you use in place of it now?  I am off  it now for 1 week, I hurt but not horrible. I am trying to get used to not having it prior to my surgery.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks to you all.

Marla
Catw
on 5/16/12 1:30 am - Arnprior, Canada
I'm not on Celebrix, but perhaps you could talk to your clinic about it.  See if there is a substitute you can take.

Cathy
Marls
on 5/16/12 2:02 am - Canada

Thanks Cathy, just that we are not allowed any NSAIDS.  Hopefully I will be fine with Tylenol Arthritis when  needed.

cheeky_monkey
on 5/16/12 1:01 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada
Hi Marla,

I'm wasn't on Celebrix but I was on Meloxicam.  I'm pre-op as well. 

I stopped taking the Meloxicam on April 16 on the direction of the Nurse I  saw at my first appointment. She did mention my going on Tramadol instead but when I saw my GP later that day he wouldn"t give me script for it as he feels it is too easy to be addicted to it because I need something ongoing every day as I have severe osteo-arthritis in both knees, and he wasn't about to put me on it because "some nurse said so". I use a walker most days if I'm out and about, other times just a cane. Depends on the weather

So now I'm on nothing....in alot of pain when I have to go out like grocery shopping...I take Tylenol sometimes at night when my knees and calf muscles are really bad.  I spend alot of time sitting right now and use my kids as minions at home.  I find I am sleeping alot (pain is exhausting) but I know that all this is temporary. 

I have toyed with the idea of just going back on my meds in half dose. I used to take it 2X a day...I'm thinking I might go to 1X a day. Being on nothing is hard....on me and my family....guess time will tell.  Good luck!

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Aca-Verity
on 5/16/12 5:55 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12
I have severe OA (back and hands) and have been on Celebrex for almost 20 years.  Without it, I can barely move.  I knew that RNY was not for me as I need my NSAIDS.....am having VSG on June 6th.  Have you considered having VSG?  Good Luck

Verity

Karen W.
on 5/16/12 10:09 pm - Canada
I take Tylenol Arthritis.  When it gets bad, I take tramacet (tramadol with tylenol). It's the lowest level opiate on the market so is the least addictive of all drugs in this category, but if you have a history of addiction you need to be careful; regardless, it's good to take any pain meds as little as possible, only when needed.  If your GP won't prescribe it, speak with the nurse practitioner at your clinic.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics