Pain in chest when swallowing.

zombiesugar
on 10/22/12 9:54 pm
First let me say I'm probably going to go into the hospital today for this - just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and if so - what did it turn out to be? The only thing is that my one-month check up is tomorrow anyway - I feel like it's a waste to go into the hospital when they could check me tomorrow?

I've been very by the books since my surgery - eating super slow and not trying any 'unauthorised' foods. Sunday I started eating regular/soft food and everything was fine. Sunday night I was tired and went to bed without eating dinner. Monday morning I woke up and had some water and protein/coffee mix and everything was fine. Had some yogurt with protein powder for breakfast and started feeling this sharp burning feeling just at the top of my rib cage in the centre before I could even fini****

I pushed through and finished the yogurt. Waited a couple hours and tried a couple of tiny pieces of chicken and the pain was there. Waited a while longer and tried some protein shake - still the pain. At one point it was causing pain just to swallow the saliva in my mouth.

At night I could ge****er in only, which felt fine - then went to bed. Tried some protein shake this morning and the pain is back.

Laurie C.
on 10/22/12 10:06 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hospital please

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

CoffeeLady1975
on 10/22/12 10:24 pm - Canada
 Never, never "push through it" if its uncomfortable to eat/drink stop!  if the pain is fading between meals (that means its not your heart and probably not a stricture) go back to the full fluid diet for a day.  If  that resolves the issue you may need to go slower in adding foods.  I'm hoping this was just a bad day for you, I know I have had a few.  

Monica M.
on 10/22/12 11:23 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
please go to the hospital (not probably) and let us know what they say? we worry, you know.

Mon

Niki L.
on 10/23/12 2:35 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
Hope all goes well hun

PatXYZ
on 10/23/12 9:40 am
Are you taking a PPI like prevacid? This sounds like it could be acid related. It is absolutely essential that you take a PPI post-op for a minimum of 3 months to help prevent ulcers. Your family doc can prescribe one if your surgeon didn't.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/12 9:58 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Hope you feel better soon. Please keep up filled in.
Blu-Diva
on 10/24/12 8:48 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Hospital 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

zombiesugar
on 10/24/12 10:23 pm
Thanks for the replies!

I did end up going to the hospital. XRay and blood tests came back just fine - the ER isn't that educated on RNY so they weren't too sure what to do with me. So I went home.

The afternoon was better - the pain when swallowing was less. I was able to get down some soup etc... the only thing that is causing me trouble right now seems to be yogurt - which sucks because it's the easiest thing to eat!

Went to my one month appointment the day after and they booked me for a scope and gave me a prescription for Prevacid and my scope isn't until Nov 14th.

The Prevacid is helping - but I can still feel that burn in the middle of my chest. Might be an ulcer? I have no clue! I guess I'll just have to wait 2 weeks to find out.

Thanks again!

Most Active
Recent Topics