Low Fat, No Sugar Added Yogurt...HELP!

daint45
on 11/14/12 7:05 am - Canada
RNY on 11/20/12

Okay, so I went out to do my post surgery diet shopping yesterday and for the life of me cannot find low fat, no sugar added yogurt.  I know a few of use Oikos Greek yogurt which only comes in low fat or regular.  Is that alright to use?  Has anyone tried the new yogurt called iogo yogurt they have low fat greek yogurt.  Need some assistance in finding yogurt please and thank you.  Can I have fruit in it or does it have to be plain?

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Julia P.
on 11/14/12 7:14 am, edited 11/14/12 7:15 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

The only ones that are really low in sugar are the plain ones.  Anything with fruit or even the vanilla/honey yogurts have a lot of grams of sugar.  I buy the Liberte 0% plain greek yogurt (2 grams of sugar per 1/4 cup serving).  I then add SF torani syrup to it for flavour.

I hope this helps!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 7:17 am - Straford, Canada

most stores carry a zero % fat free greek yogurt, I know PC does at Loblaws and superstore but not every no frills carries it.  I use plain for smoothies and I use the low carb zero fat vanilla greek yogurt for snack.  

mermaidz
on 11/14/12 7:19 am - Brampton, Canada

Oikos or Greek Yogurt is great.. High in proteins.

Fruit added yogurts typically have a higher sugar content. Any "flavoured" yogurts will have a higher sugar/carb content.

If you want fruit in your yogurt, do it the old fashioned way and cut up a pear (in to 2 ounce sections) and put it in yourself. Keep in mind that you might want to use low carb fruits ie berries, peaches, apples etc.

my two cents.. and I could be wrong

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Tracey 112205
on 11/14/12 7:21 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Stay away from the flavoured ones and you will have the right one.  I always buy Oikos in either 0% or 2% as the caloric difference is nothing.  I think it's about 20 extra calories for 3/4 cup and I never eat that much anyway.  Not all greek yogurts are low fat, I picked up an Astro plain one and it was like 10% fat.  I had never seen any brands with anything higher than 2% before so now I check the label if I have to buy a brand other than my beloved OIkos so I don't have to throw away another container.  I do like the other poster and just add my own sweetener, syrup, agave or fruit or nsa jam to it.  It's also good to use for savory things like dip or tzatziki.  I use the plain instead of sour cream on stuff too.

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/14/12 7:23 am - Windsor, Canada

I find that some dieticians say greek yogurt and others say no greek yogurt depending who you are talking to. If you want low fat, no sugar added, usually people go for the source yogurts. 

http://www.yoplait.ca/source/en/source.aspx

8+ Years Post Op RNY.  Read about my first year here and Click here for My LongTimer blog. (my newest journal!!).    I love answering questions of preops! ****Ask me about the Windsor WLS Support Group****      Facebook group : bariatric long-timers for those 3 yrs plus!             
"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children... to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." *~Ralph Waldo Emerson~*

Patm
on 11/14/12 7:43 am - Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have used Oikos, liberte and kirkland from costco. All the ones I use are plain ones o% fat and no more that 5g sugar. The other have too much fat and sugar. It is a great source of protein. The good thing is you can doctor them up with syrups, fruit, granola or anything else that you fancy. If you are used to regular yogurts you will find the greek yogurts rather tart at first but add things and they are a great source of protein

daint45
on 11/14/12 8:17 am - Canada
RNY on 11/20/12

Thanks everyone...one more question.  How long after surgery do I have to wait to add fruit or nsa jams? 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

IslandMomma
on 11/14/12 9:03 am - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12

One other great idea is to use the plain Greek and add some no sugar Choc. pudding and a "little" sweetener if needed...this is great for the first 2 weeks after surgery...Good luck

Onward and
Downward

on 11/14/12 3:27 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

That's a good idea about the pudding!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights!  July 9 & 23, 2014:  Click here for details.

Patm
on 11/14/12 9:13 am - Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I would wait until the puree stage for the jams and longer for the fruit. The post about pudding or syrups sounded good

zombiesugar
on 11/15/12 5:23 am

There is a type of the Iogo yogurt with fruit in it that has only 4g of sugar in the little cup. 0% etc...

Just have to spent the time looking at the nutrition labels on the packets and maybe go to a larger grocery store that has a lot of variety.

http://www.iogo.ca/en/products/iogo-zero/#nutritional-values