anyone been refused

one-last-chance
on 12/17/12 8:04 am - Teeswater, Canada

Here's the deal, I have a number of health problems including anemia and mixed connective tissue disease.   I went for first appt and was told there was a lot of red flags re possibility of surgery for me.  There is a new medical program beginning so they thought that would be good idea to put name on.  To do that I had to take name off surgical list.   So I did but now I am really worried.  I don't know what the right thing to do is.  I couldn't go on medical list if I stayed on surgical list.   I am so confused.

to info session Guelph in Nov 2012

appointment with NUR/SW/NUT Dec 2012

Monica M.
on 12/17/12 10:31 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

I'm very sorry, but i'm honestly not sure what you're asking.

cutekatie
on 12/17/12 11:13 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Sounds like it's the 12 week optifast program that you are talking about.  I think ti's Guelph that is starting that up soon. or I might be completely confused.

Either way I would ask to meet the surgeon sooner rather then later to find out if you will be approved or not.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

nata
on 12/17/12 11:58 am - Ottawa, Canada

"health problems including anemia and mixed connective tissue disease" make your case for having VSG instead of RnY.

If your anemia is iron deficit anemia, it is treatable, but surgery without malabsorption would be safer for you in the long run. The MCTD is usually associated with joint and other tissue inflammation, so you need to take NSAIDS, which are FINE with VSG, but not with RnY.

There is no "a surgery". There are currently three surgical options, covered by OHIP. The "default" option of RnY Gastric Bypass is not so good for you, based on what you describe, but so far you didn't list anything that would disqualify you for Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy. Read about these options (google for instance).

Whom did you see at your first appointment?A medical doctor? a nurse? was it an orientation?Were you given any options or was it explained, why you cannot have even a VSG? or this option wasn't even mentioned? Did they just steer you towards "medical program"?

Well, welcome to the Ontario bariatric program. Get a huge grain of salt, to have with the WLS related information provided by our centers. There are nice people providing very ... "partial" information. It is your job to get MORE info that you're being told, especially by lower level staff - "medical" opinion of a receptionist, educator, nutritionist and even a nurse DO NOT MATTER, only a surgeon can say whether you can or cannot have a surgery. And even here you're entitled to second opinion.

If your "new medical program" is an Optifast course, sorry to disappoint you, most of us went through similar programs (Ottawa's been running it for years), they do not work long term.

Well, good luck with whatever you decide.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/12 8:21 pm, edited 12/17/12 8:21 pm - Straford, Canada

I don't understand why you're confused.  If I am reading correctly, and gawd knows I don't at times, you have removed your name from the bariatric surgery registry and have possibly been added to a "new" weight loss program at Guelph?

If you're going to get serious and at least somewhat educated comments you must outline what the "new" Guelph program is.  I could go on and on about why my program is best and why everyone is against DS and the sleeve, I could use BOLD and CAPS and so on, but that is useless and silly!  What did you just sign up for?  

(deactivated member)
on 12/17/12 8:26 pm - Oshawa, ON, Canada
VSG on 01/28/13
*snort* I just shot coffee out my nose. Thank you for that
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/12 9:02 pm - Straford, Canada

Most Active
Recent Topics