Question regarding giving B12 shots self administered?

walshsurvey
on 5/5/13 11:26 am - Ottawa, Canada

It really is quite simple. 

Referral sent April 2009, Orientation March 2011, 1st Appt with NUT Dec 2011, 2nd Appt with NUT March 2012, Gastroenterologist June 2012, zzzz fell asleep waiting for movement zzzzz, 3rd meeting with NUT May 2013, ....???

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/13 1:30 pm, edited 5/5/13 1:33 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

OK so like anything there is a lot of OPINION on this matter...

fact from the centres is...

YOU CAN SELF ADMINISTER your shots once a month....or you can have your doctor do it.

I do not have a doctor....and refuse to wait in walk-in clinics each time.

Yes you should be shown how to administer and thats where my best friend comes in who is a trauma and ICU nurse.

I bought my vial of B12 - $9.00
15 x 1" 22 gauge needles - $15.00
as well as alcohol swabs ($3.00) and a sharps container ($8.00)

B12 must be administered DEEP SUBCUTANIOUS or INTRAMUSCULAR...what this means is pretty much in your Upper leg muscle...

Currently there is a massive shortage with the supplier of needles to phamacies and most now only carry diabetic needles...please note diabetic needles are too short...they are only subcutanious and you need DEEP...so 1" length

1ml (cc) is your dosage each month.  so a 10ml bottle should last essentially 10 months.

NOW the hard part is getting the courage to jab myself with a needle.

Needles are not for everyone and it MAY not be for me either, but the sublingual liquid is not for me!  if anyone needs...I got a few bottles! LOL

Like opti pills and B12 will be a regimen but this is life long and for someone like myself who is not on any regular medication....remembering it is the hardest.

Self administered - No coverage from OHIP (may be able to claim on taxes?)

Dr administered - covered by OHIP but i think you need to buy the b12 unless you get prescription

However since im not chronically ill as always seeing doc on regular basis, and dont have time to see a doctor, nor sit in a walkin waiting room for upteen hours....this is worth a shot! (no pun intended)

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/6/13 5:52 am
your dosage is ml a month this is a variable related to one's size ability to absorb from other sources and personal blood levels

B12 is a water soluble vitamin so overdose is not that big an issue as over dosing on a fat soluble vitamin like A or D, however higher than recommended B12 levels can contribute to a phenomena known as iron deficiency in absence of anemia. It is hard to diagnose as you complain of extreme fatigue, difficulty concentrating your HGB comes back normal to high and your doctor attributes your symptoms to stress and does no more investigation. If your doctor went on to test Ferritin Levels and Iron panel he would likely learn your symptoms are related to low iron levels

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

mermaidz
on 5/5/13 8:10 pm - Brampton, Canada

Why don't you ask the pharmacist?

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

ToNewBeginnings
on 5/5/13 9:50 pm

I self- administer. I inject in my belly. I ordered a box of needles from Walmart.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 7:54 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I will speak with doctor, but im not self injecting B12 for lack of energy.....I am taking it once monthly instead of the pills, etc...I am not looking for a diagnosis, but i appreciate your help.

Just tried to do it and chickened out....this may take a bit!  LOL

I'll try again another time....my icu nurse friend was here and she said she will give it but by that point i was too afraid...LOL...

Jitters...

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/6/13 9:49 am
Sparky rant wasn't directed specifically toward you buy to all readers lol

generally specific so to speak

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 10:42 pm

Quick question re: dosages ... numbers is not adding up ...

Why is "monthly injection" method only 1000mcg whereas daily is 350mcg & weekly is 2000mcg?

Is this because injections of only 1000mcg work better/last longer due to its delivery (ie. injected) ?

ty

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/13 12:01 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Correct the delivery and absorbtion of an injectable is much higher and longer lasting

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/6/13 10:51 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

Can't you bring it to a walk in clinic or your family doctor and get them to do it for free?

Most Active
Recent Topics