MY EXPERIENCE- One week post op

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/14 9:28 pm, edited 10/27/14 9:42 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I was sitting here this morning laughing at the range of different emotions and thoughts I went through this week. I thought I'd jot them down and share. Please remember, this is my experience only. I will also say, this was my first ever surgery, and I am naturally an emotional gal, and an overthinker! 

Surgery Eve- I did not sleep one hour. I couldn't believe it had finally come. I figured I would catch up on sleep after surgery, and I stayed up all night, plus, I couldn't have slept if I tried. 

Surgery day- Not thinking too much, felt ready, a few nerves here and there, but overall ready! Let's DO THIS!

One day post op- WOOHOOO I'm on the bench. In pain, but not as terrible as expected. Excited, ready to start my new life! FEELING HAPPY, and COMPLETELY EXHAUSTED!

Two days post op- Got discharged, came home, slept the entire day.  So not much to report here. I needed it. You probably will too. 

Three days post op- What the *** have I just done. I just rearranged my insides, I made a mistake. Everything tastes and smells disgusting. All I want to do is sleep. Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

Four days post op- OK I can do this (I think) Still feeling a bit gloom. Miss the comforts of food. Spent a large part of my day tasting and smelling things, to see what worked with the current state of my taste buds. I needed to find something, as I wasn't eating much. Just kinda carrying on. Not feeling happy. Still unsure of everything, still not really feeling like myself. 

Five days post op- Mmmm I love cream of chicken soup. Why can I eat more than 1/4 a cup, why can I eat closer to 1 cup of food? Did this work. Did they even do surgery, did they do it right? Is something wrong? (yes this all thought crossed my mind) Is my pouch bigger than it should be? Why do I want more food? Am I going to fail? I am doomed to be fat forever. 

Six days post op- Spoke to NUT from TWH, explained concerns, all of which she stated were perfectly normal, we laughed about it. I can now tolerate, and enjoy a few more options. Feeling better. Finally not exhausted. DAY ONE, of not feeling like I am dragging my ass. Taste buds seem to be changing. I can eat more variety. Not feeling so defeated! 

ONE WEEK POST OP- I FEEL GREAT. Feeling like ME again! I can completely do this. I am finally sleeping a full night. I have zero pain. I am not thinking ridiculous thoughts. I do not feel down. I look forward to the following months, and watching the transformation. I look forward to getting to a place where this becomes an easy way of living. Where I can enjoy food again, in a healthy, normal way. I am beyond excited. This was the right choice. 

msmuggins
on 10/27/14 10:26 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks SOOOOO much for sharing your journey!  I'm really glad that you're feeling so good so quickly!  Bravo!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/14 10:31 pm, edited 10/27/14 10:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Haha I sound like a crazy lady! But yep, the emotions were a bit all over the place  Feeling completely back to ME now. Its a good thing too, since I fly to Texas this weekend for work. I was worried I wouldn't be feeling up to it.

Thanks lady!

Jiliana2
on 10/27/14 10:34 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

It sounds like things are progressing normally! We've all run the gamut of emotions before, during and after this surgery, so we can all relate. But this is great for pre-ops to read and understand. Every day gets a little easier. Before you know it you'll be as right as rain!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 12:43 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks lady! I am feeling great today :)

ChristineV
on 10/27/14 10:34 pm

Thank you for your honesty in telling us about your first week  post-op.  I'm glad to hear that you are feeling like yourself again.  I wish you all the success in your journey.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 12:44 am, edited 10/28/14 12:44 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thank you so much Christine! I wish you the same!

David Symons
on 10/27/14 10:52 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate hearing about your progress. I look forward to hearing more.

David

Feb 02/14 Pre-Atkins Diet 355lbs. April 01/14 324 lbs. April 07/14 320lbs. September 14/14 281lbs.

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/14 12:45 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks David, I am sure I will share along the way, the entire journey, thats my plan anyway!

roxytrim
on 10/27/14 11:41 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Terrific post.  This page should be included in the orientation package, you nailed it!

Most Active
Recent Topics