Vitamins

sadgirl89
on 11/25/14 1:24 am

Hey guys,

I've come down to the final item on my list of things to buy before surgery and it's my vitamins. I need a Multivitamin-mineral, Calcium, and Vitamin D ... I will get B12 shots by my Doctor. Does anyone know a specific brand other than "Bariatric Advantage" ? I've been looking everywhere  with no luck.

Confused

Needanewbeginning
on 11/25/14 2:01 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I use Costcos Kirkland brand. Right after surgery I used their prenatal vitamin, the liquid Wellese calcium, biotin, B12 sublingual (Jamison) and vitamin d drops. A couple of months out I switched to the Kirkland calcium citrate tablet that also contains vit d. These all go on sale often and I have bought two huge bottles for less than the price of one at most drug stores.

This is what I do and what my centre approves for me, please ask at your centre what they approve and recommend. You should receive a booklet with details on menu ideas and how to eat and when as well as vitamins and brands you're going to need post op. I received this before my surgery at my orientation as well as in the hospital the next morning. I had my centres dietician visit me and brought me the same booklet.  She went page by page and entered notes for me to make sure I understood my vitamins and when to take them and menu ideas for the first few weeks ready for when I went home.

I know bariactric advantage are popular and please don't think I am against them, in my opinion, the ingredients and actual amounts your purchasing are important. I researched many different brands. These in particular are far to expensive for what your getting. Again, this is just my opinion and no disrespect to the many OH members that use these. 

Dont follow what responses you get here, we of course are happy to offer you what works for us and are happy to share what our opinions are of certain things, but really, your centre should have or certainly will if you ask, provide you what they want you to take for their program. 

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Hollynik
on 11/25/14 3:42 am - Canada

Annette, Are the calcium citrate tablets large and do you have to cut them to take them or are they small enough to just take.  I am using the chews right now and like them but I do prefer to take tablets over liquid or chewables.  Thanks, Lori

Needanewbeginning
on 11/25/14 11:32 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I tried the Jamieson chews as well. Yummy, felt like a little treat to be honest. But, TMI alert, they made my bm's sticky. Sounds weird, but it did. 

Yes, they are big tablets, you can cut them in half for sure. I just got tired of the liquid after two bottles of it.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

sadgirl89
on 11/26/14 7:23 am

Thanks Annette, I'm going to give it try!

(deactivated member)
on 11/25/14 5:23 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I use Natures Bounty Prenatal for my multi. Really easy to swallow, zero taste, affordable, and was told they have more than enough of what I require.

sadgirl89
on 11/26/14 7:25 am

Hey Jennifer,

Where do you purchase that? I've never come across that brand before. 

Lorieliz
on 11/27/14 1:27 am - Canada

I use Costco vits too - Kirkland prenatal and calcium tablets

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Most Active
Recent Topics