Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Carchick28
on 12/17/14 12:12 am - Canada

I would like to hear some input from people who had this surgery instead of the by-pass, why they had it and results.  I know that there is a forum here that talks about this but I want fellow Ontarians' responses. 

Nanato2
on 12/17/14 1:52 am, edited 12/17/14 1:57 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

In Ontario you do not get to choose which surgery you have the gold standard is the RNY usually people that get the sleeve get it as a result of a medical or underlying condition.

I had the sleeve because I have crohns and for me the doctors said it was the best option which I hate to say I know disagree with.

I am almost two years out and I did very well the first 8 months then I stopped losing and the last year have gained some weight back and I have no restrictions at all. 

Hope this helps

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Carchick28
on 12/17/14 2:00 am - Canada

I do have some iron issues which from what I have read may be one of the things that they consider. From my own research I am kinda leaning more towards that but want to speak to them further about it.  I was just curious to hear from people who have had it.  Thanks.  I do have a couple of friends who had it done and love  every bit of it and have no regrets.  They have both done really well one for more than 7 years and the other since January, 2014.  Thanks for info

Karen M.
on 12/17/14 7:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I am sorry to hear that, Lynn. I can imagine that it must be very frustrating (not to mention disappointing) for you. If there is any way we can help with your food and menus, please let us know!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mazey_x
on 12/17/14 2:19 am - Peterborough, Canada
VSG on 08/19/14

I had the sleeve August 19th of this year and absolutely love it.  I had to have it because I depend on nsaids often.  I've lost 114 lbs in 4 months.  I've have no eating issues and really no issues at all minus low vit d and my liver doing something weird but they arnt sure if that's due to surgery or not.  Talk to your surgeon, learn all the facts about both surgeries...I'm sure you'll do great with either.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

1. Referal: Aug 17th 2011            Orientation:Nov ,2011 Nurse Practitioner: Dec 22nd 2011   Social Worker: Dec 22nd 2011 Nutrition Class: April 3rd, 2012       Dietitian:April 3rd, 2012 Psychologist:April 2nd, 2012    
  2. Follow up Dietitian: November 16th 2012  Follow up Psychologist: August 28th 2012     Surgeon Meeting:Feb 17, 2012     2nd Surgeon Meeting: April 2014         VSG Surgery Date: Aug 19th 2014
Carchick28
on 12/17/14 2:32 am - Canada

Mazey_x. I have some other questions for you about your surgery.  I tried to send you a PM but it would not let me.  Maybe you could PM me and I could ask you if that is okay with you.   If not that it is okay too and I understand completely. 

Dar_Tay
on 12/17/14 5:29 am - Canada
roxytrim
on 12/17/14 6:26 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

You can see by my info re surgery; this was done because I have ulcerative  colitis.  My sister was sleeved because we have alot of stomach cancer in my family, & you can't scope the remaining stomach with the rey.

Both my sister & I have had very good results.  She has lost 180 & kept it off going on 4 yrs. My only issue is GERD, but I knew that going in & take my daily ppi keeping it under control. My lucky sister has no issues.

Both surgeries are terrific tools & they all take ongoing work just like the general population.

Sassy75
on 12/18/14 6:27 am - North York, Canada

I have celiac disease and as such had the sleeve. So far I am very happy about it. I am 4 months out and have lost 72 pounds so far. I have not noticed any restrictions yet except for water!!! I have to drink it with flavour or it makes my stomach upset. 

Most Active
Recent Topics