Medical referral vs surgical

Molly83
on 12/21/14 11:18 am - Canada

Can someone tell me what the path looks like if my doctor referred me to the medical program in Ottawa instead of the surgical. I was told I could still go surgical route but it would take longer. Anyone go this route?

Drvn2skcede
on 12/21/14 2:46 pm

My understanding is that if you are referred to the medical program, you will attend an orientation session directed towards their core program.  After speaking with the team there, you can opt to go the WLS route, but you won't be able to circumvent the registry waitlist.  If after waiting for your core program wait list (which could be a few months), you may be a couple more months before you and your doctor are comfortable with the WLS route, then you'd have to go on the registry waitlist and wait again, hence starting all over again.

My doctor referred me to the Ottawa program as well, but then I managed to convince her to at least get my name on the registry so that I'm not losing valuable time on the wait list.  I convinced her that we would probably have a year before I would have to make any decisions one way or another anyways so she agreed to at least get me on the registry (which I think she still hasn't done yet)

Molly83
on 12/21/14 9:29 pm - Canada

Thanks for the information. My doctor referred me for the core program (after we discussed surgical) in June. Then had to redo it (it was sent back because it was not done properly) in August. I am still waiting and hoping he has resent the referral as surgical. I called and mentioned this and was told they were just as surprised it wasn't the surigical program. Anyways, I know it is a long journey either way, just wanting to hear from from others. Waiting is not a strong suit for me!

lammytee14
on 12/21/14 10:12 pm

From my experience (and understanding) at Ottawa WMC referrals attend an orientation to get informed of all the options available to us at WMC (surgery, Optifast program or their new 6-month program with dietitian). It helps to make an informed decision and hear all the details about the surgery from the clinic. There is so much mis-information on the internet about the surgery that it really is worthwhile to attend. I hope this helps. :)

beme_atlast
on 12/21/14 10:37 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/29/14

My understanding is that if you decide on the medical (optifast) approach and then change your mind and want surgery...OHIP will not cover you until 2 years have past since you quit the medical program. Check this out first in case I'm wrong.   Good luck which ever way you go.

Jane

HW-414, Start Opti-398, PS-369.1,GW-170... SURGERY Dr.Klein-Apr 29/14!!! 

Delicious_Delilah
on 12/21/14 11:15 pm - Ottawa, Canada

My experience with the Ottawa program is that you get referred to the Centre. You meet with the doctor (Dr. Dent in my case).  You discuss the available options -- different programs (medical or surgery), and decide which one you want to pursue. Unless things have changed...and they may have. But that is how it worked for me. 

Good luck!

DD

Most Active
Recent Topics