Feeling very discouraged

Tish24
on 1/26/15 4:46 am - Owen Sound, Canada

I had my surgery on November 10, 2014. I'm not even three months out and I think I have stretched my pouch already. I haven't lost any more weight, and I think I have even gained some back. I don't know what happened? I know for sure I eat larger portions then I think I'm suppose to, and that I don't sip water, I drink water. I get so thirsty sometimes that I just have to. I thought it might be my diabetes, but I test and the reading is normal. Is it possible something went wrong with the surgery? I've never had a problem eating any food, or felt restricted in any way. Can this happen so soon? I go to see the dietician in February , I guess we will have a lot to talk about. I just feel like such a looser, I thought this surgery was going to help restrict the food I eat, I was totally wrong.

pegawatt
on 1/26/15 7:01 am - Canada

I feel the same way you do but I am doing better since I have been eating and snacking less actually lost a couple of pounds in a few days .But I don't think that our pouches have stretched so fast and I am 6 months post op.

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/15 9:54 am

Your tracker says you have lost 49 pounds... that is great since November. If you are eating large portions, then its up to you to cut them down. Follow the plan your clinic gave you. You should be able to drink now instead of sipping. Water is good for you regardless. Don't test the waters by seeing how much you can eat or drink. Eat or drink what your plan tells you too. You are a looser, a looser of 49 pounds!!!! That is something to be proud of. Remember also that all the nerves were damaged during surgery so they need time to heal, and when the do, you will get that full feeling ect. Again dont test to see how much you can eat, it may hurt you in the long run. But right now I think you are doing amazing

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/26/15 11:05 am - Windsor, Canada

Are you hungry?  You said you CAN eat more.  So can I. It's not about how much you CAN eat but how much you sHould.  It's really simple -- if you want to lose weight you need to follow your plan.

you need to measure.  You need to follow rules and eat prescribed amounts.  You need to follow your program. 

You are only 3 months out and have lots of losing time left...how much do you want it? It's about choices.  There's no magic to this.  

i suggest you also talk to the professionals at the centre and explore your eating issues.

I wish you you well and I hope that you can turn this around.   

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

crqvingchange
on 1/26/15 6:31 pm

February is just around the corner and you can talk to your centre about your concerns.  In the meantime, why not join us on the What are you eating/doing thread everyday.  It will help you to plan out your meals and make you accountable for what your choices are.  Good luck, we're here for you.

Karen M.
on 1/26/15 8:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada

If you "know for sure that you eat larger portions than I think I'm supposed to", then don't. Everything you put into your mouth is a choice, following your centre's plan is essential. There is a saying I live by - "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Start planning your daily menu if you don't already so it includes all of your "must haves" and stick to it, track your food intake in a program like myfitnesspal.com, keep your protein high (at least 75g per day) and your carbs (between 30-40g), get your water in (yes, you can drink, it doesn't have to be "sips") and ensure you are eating absolutely ZERO refined sugar.

Good luck!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Tish24
on 1/26/15 9:46 pm - Owen Sound, Canada

Thank you all for all the words of encouragement. You are absolutely right about food being a choice. I need to make better choices, and stop being complacent about my life. I started yesterday making better decisions about my food and felt good about it at the end of the day. I wish I could say I lost the 49lbs after surgery, but most of that weight was lost before surgery. Since the surgery, last I checked I have only lost 20lbs. That was the start of my disappointment. I try to stay off the scales because they can really set me back. Hopefully, I will start to lose again when I get back on track. Anyway, thanks again for helping to lift me up, it really means more then you'll know.

Nanato2
on 1/27/15 12:34 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Tish

One thing you should know is that your pouch does not strectch what if anything will stretch is the opening which allows the food to move throught the pouch to the intestines quicker but this should not occur in the first year.

You should be following the guidelines set by the centre regarding eating, try and stay away from bad food choices also if you are not getting the required protein amount in per day it will effect your weight loss.

What you can do is record your food using myfitness pal and track your carbs, protein etc. and calories.

Don't give up they say if you fall off the horse get right back on it. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Karen M.
on 1/27/15 12:37 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, the pouch most certainly does stretch - just as the VSG stomach does.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Nanato2
on 1/27/15 12:50 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Karen

Was told this by the professionals just last week. They say what actually stretchs when you have had a RNY is the opening not the actually pouch itself and state tests have been done to show just that.

So I don't know just saying what I heard either way something stretches.   

I agree with a VSG it will stretch because it is your actually stomach and the stomach will stretch with time and overeating.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics