How do I start over???

stephleo
on 1/28/15 2:32 am - Kingston, Ontario, Canada

So mad at myself! Had my surgery in 2009 and lost it all. Now it has slowly come back! I can't seem to get in the right mind set to stop the craziness. Question: can I get my pouch to work again or is it too late? How can I get back on track? All suggestions welcome. Here we go again.

Caroline K.
on 1/28/15 5:05 am

From what I understand, it's pretty hard to stretch out the pouch, so you should still have restrictions though the caloric malabsorption should be gone by now.

Do you log everything you eat, drink all of your water (but not during meals and not for at least 30 minutes after eating), eat dense proteins first, then vegetables/legumes/carbs? I'm not a "no carber", but I do try to not eat white carbs. Logging your food should help you see where your problem areas are, and if you accompany it with the mood you're in when you eat, you may be able to find your triggers. I also find that certain foods are triggers for me, and I can't have them in the house; others, I can stop after my carefully measured portion.

You may also want to see if there's a "Craving Change" workshop in your area. The local one I went to was free, and it provided a number of useful coping strategies as well as ways to determine why you're eating. I don't do well with totally restrictive diets, which is why I allow myself an occasional treat, but it's something I've carefully chosen, in moderation, that isn't too high in fat or sugar. I'm less likely to fall off the wagon in a bingefest that way, which was my usual downfall in the past...

Is there a counselor you can talk to? That may also help.

Good luck!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Catw
on 1/28/15 9:20 am - Arnprior, Canada

I have a few suggestions:

1.  Start journaling, everything you eat, how you feel when you eat, and all your activity as you are eating now.  Do this for about a week.

2.  Go to your GP and get your bloodwork done (you may need to adjust supplement intake).

3.  Look over your journal, decide on one small thing that you want to change (i.e. increase water intake by one glass per day).  Aim for this goal until you think it's a natural habit.  Then work on the next goal (it could be as simple as increasing by another glass, repeating until you are at 8 glasses per day).  Keep doing that until you are where you want to be.  Setting small goals and acheiving them are easier than setting big goals.  And a little goal is a big deal.

4.  Don't worry if you fall, as long as know how you fell, and you pick yourself up and start again.

If there is a support group in your area, go to it.  Maybe talk to your clinic if you can. If you are noticing trends (i.e. stress eating) try to find a counsellor to talk to help you find other ways of dealing with your stress.  If you are bored, try picking up a hobby to keep your hands occupied.

It's never too late to get back on track.  And keep on here for support!

Cathy

Catw
on 1/29/15 11:32 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Steph,

Patm just posted the following link that you may find helpful when starting again:

. http://www.uhn.ca/docs/HealthInfo/Shared%20Documents/Eating_for_Health_after_Gastric_Bypass_Surgery.pdf

Sometimes a self refresher helps us get back on track.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics