Back home and need help!

Dolly K.
on 1/29/15 8:44 pm, edited 1/29/15 8:56 pm

Good morning 

I came home yesterday from the hospital and find is very overwhelming as to how much I should drink . Yesterday throughout the day I had 1/2 protein shake ( yummy vanilla) means 15 mg and twice chicken broth and I was so full . Not sure if I am drinking the right amount it too much or too less .  I have no problem drinking water. I think I had almost one and a half bottle of water throughout the day . I know list say 60 to 80 but I can't imagine having 60mg on day 3 onwards . How much protein should I aim for per day? My surgery was Jan 27th. I am recoverying well . I was only given water in the hospital and jello . I find jello is too sweet and I only had 2 spoons . 

Zavz
on 1/29/15 9:23 pm - Canada

This is the problem with the clinics in my opinion. They don't give an accurate picture of what to expect right after surgery. At this point you just get in what you can and work towards the numbers they gave you. It will take a few weeks at least to get there. 

crqvingchange
on 1/29/15 9:27 pm

Exactly what Zavz said.  You are still healing, so don't push things.  Drink what feels comfortable.  Take everything slowly right now, it will gradually get better.  Take lots of naps and have a tiny cup beside you and try to have a few sips every 5 or 10 minutes rather than trying to drink it all at once.

Catw
on 1/29/15 10:13 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Basically, just do the best you can for now.  And work your way up to 80g of protein.  You won't be able to do it in the first couple days and that's OK.  Just keep working on getting a bit more in each day.  If you can work more on the shake than broth, but don't forget that there is a little bit of protein in the broth too.

Your doing good!

Cathy

Patm
on 1/29/15 10:38 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
Catw
on 1/29/15 11:31 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Thanks for posting the link Pat.  There have been a few posts over the last several months about people wanting to get back on track.  I'm sure that if they are like me, any material they got when they were going through the process was put in a "safe place" (as in somewhere that I can't find it again) and having an electronic copy would be handy.

Cathy

nbeatty
on 1/30/15 6:22 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Thanks for this link.  I like this one better than the one I got.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

Ivanova8
on 1/30/15 12:21 am - Toronto, Canada

The first day or two can be overwhelming.  There's just so much to do and remember.  But like everyone has said just do what you can.  Drink/sip water every few minutes and drink as much protein shake as you can.  Don't do anything that makes you hurt or uncomfortable.  It will get better in time.  

GP Referral June 2014 / Orientation Sept 2014 / Social Worker Oct 2014 / 1st Nurse Oct 2014 / Psych Oct 2014 / NUT Class & Dietitian Nov 2014 / 2nd Nurse Nov 2014 /Surgeon Consult Dec 2014 / Surgery Jan 12, 2015

Mary A.
on 1/30/15 1:06 am

At 6 yrs post-op I can only remember that my bariatric clinic said "concentrate on increasing your fluid and protein intake slightly and steadily"  your body can't take it the full 30, 40, 50+ grams of protein and it may be a few weeks until that actually hppens

surgery...the main goal is not to be dehydrated and put some protein in there where you can.  Your body will be adjusting ad can live off some of the reserves it has.

For the first week after surgery I basically lives on water with SF flavour added and wonton soup without the wontons.  I bought a bunch from my favourite Asian place and froze some...

Your tastes appetite and routines will change...go slow..don't jump ahead wildly on your food guideline and it will all work

Slow and stead...win's the race for continued and lasting success

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Dolly K.
on 1/30/15 3:43 am, edited 1/30/15 3:44 am

Thank you all. Hearing from all of you gave me the comfort I needed . So thank you so much! Pat thank you for posting the link. I do have that book but as Cathy said it is at the safe place:) 

I had breakfast around 10am as protein shake 1/3 cup. And had same for lunch around 12:30pm then around 2 pm I had a bit of Jello -just to change the taste of my mouth . I am sipping water and walking as much as I can. Basically resting . But feeling a lot better than yesterday .

Thank you again! You guys rock! 

Most Active
Recent Topics