Ideas For Sides!

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/15 11:10 am - Orillia, Canada

As most of you know, I have been watching what I am eating and portioning out what I eat etc.  The challenge I have is trying to find healthier alternatives for some side dishes for example I eat a lot of potatoes and brown rice. Which I want to stop.  I am trying to eat better and I am as far as I am eating sweet potatoes when I can and brown rice instead of white rice.  But what dishes do you guys eat instead of brown rice or potatoes with your dinner? Quinoa is good too, I like it but it seems to be very high in calories.  I have tried googling different recipes (for healthier side dishes) but honestly I don't want something that is overly complicated to make.  What do you guys make to go with your dinners? I usually have a protein, starch/grain and veggies.  I need ideas!

Seyenna
on 2/28/15 1:26 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Cauliflower rice. In fact, there are so many things you can do with cailiflower. You can even make a mock rice pudding.

You will need to substitute many of these recipes to be more low-carb friendly, but it should give you a good idea of where to start. Allrecipes has a section of low carb recipes, and you can find many more online. Be wary though, some people's version of "low carb" may differ from yours. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Patm
on 2/28/15 7:52 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Perhaps upping the veg for now and cutting out as much carb as possible. Post op you will probably not be eating ay potatoes or rice. I congratulate you on trying to cut back I know it is not easy pre-op.

Karen M.
on 2/28/15 9:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/15 10:25 pm - Orillia, Canada

Thank you for that link, when I try to click on it, it says my account does not have permissions to view it?!?! Thank you everyone for your phenomenal idea.

Karen M.
on 2/28/15 10:27 pm - Mississauga, Canada

All you have to do is click on "join group" and then click on "discussion" to see all of the recipe threads. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LittleMiss2013
on 2/28/15 11:01 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

M&M meats used to make the BEST green bean casserole but they stopped selling it for some unknown reason. Now I make my own with frozen green beans and a can of mushroom soup, little bit of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top or low fat mozzarella. Optional is to crush up Breton wheat crackers and sprinkle a little on top for a little crunch ...but that adds carbs ...not a ton though if you just use a few crackers for the whole casserole. Bake covered 350, 15 min....uncover for 5 more minutes in the oven. Its pretty good =)

If you want to skip the canned mushroom soup you can just use sliced mushrooms and a bit of reduced fat cream =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

CGCL
on 2/28/15 11:13 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

Sautéed zucchini and eggplant are big hits with hubby. I gave up bread, rice, pasta a few years ago and he's trying to give them up too. When I say gave up I mean going from eats it almost every day to maybe 1-2 times per month and I don't keep it in the house. Naturally now that I'm postop I don't plan to try anything grainy until maintenance.

What about roasted cauliflower and carrots? I like to put in a little ginger and white wine. Ooh, or green beans with a little olive oil, onion, ginger, nutmeg, white wine and low sodium soy sauce.

i think I'm hungry...no veggies for me for another few weeks lol.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Monica9811
on 3/1/15 3:34 am - Peterborough, Canada

My common sides are mostly vegetables. Asparagus and I usually have a traditional Greek salad. Not lettuce. Could eat it every day. 

PaulaToronto
on 3/1/15 3:59 am - Toronto, Canada

Steam a whole cauliflower cut up in small pieces in a steamer (not in water but above it or else cauli gets to wet)  Steam until quite soft - mash like you would potatoes, add 1/2 log goat cheese or add parmesan.  I usually roast cauli with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and parmesan - delish. I eat a lot of broccoli and green beans and asparagus when in season.  But if you miss potatoes do the cauliflower - you will be surprised how well it replaces mash potatoes. I don't do a lot of grains. Post surgery I get in protein always first and if there is room I eat veggies - usually only one per meal. As you are presurg - do two different veggies or one veg and salad.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics