Can you eat sushi on solid foods???

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 12:29 am

Just thinking it's small and kind of light.....anyone know if we can eat sushi? veg sushi

Jiliana2
on 3/5/15 1:31 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Sushi has rice. And early on, rice would be a no-no on my centre's plan. Protein and water are the main staples of this program and you would probably do better with sticking to those.

Rice isn't protein. It doesn't really give you any beneficial vitamins/minerals. And will bloat your stomach/pouch. You'd be better off with a piece of proper sashimi I would think (the raw fish... maguro -- tuna -- is THE BOMB! Love it.)

I wouldn't bother with sushi, personally. Just my two cents though. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

kimber291
on 3/5/15 3:45 am, edited 3/5/15 3:47 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Aren't you like 5 weeks out? I am 13 months and I still haven't eaten rice/bread/pasta/cereal. I was struggling a week or so ago but got through that...but still didn't eat any of those nasty carbs.

Sorry just my thoughts but stuff like that should be the last thing on your mind. 

**Just seen your other post...your only 2 weeks out? I'm lost for words lol

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 2:45 pm

yes, not far out.......just trying to plan sensible meals for when i'm ready in a couple of weeks.....i eat very little so was thinking small/ i kinda figured about the rice thing too, so oh well, i will stay away,.

HFA70
on 3/5/15 4:29 am

I ate sushi about 3 months out, I thought it was going to be the death of me.  Now at 15 months out, I can eat it, but slowly and very little.

It may seem small, but it's anything but light.

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 2:46 pm

I won't bother with it...thanks for the warning.

Seyenna
on 3/5/15 11:29 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

The rice will bloat you and make you feel very uncomfortable. Rice is definitely not on the "allowed" list so early out. Neither are veggies really. Protein and water should be your main priorities. There is *nothing* useful in sushi for you right now. Trust me, you'll want to go easy on yourself at just 2 weeks out. Follow your center's plan.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 2:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Sashimi is a great protein choice, but sushi rolls are pretty high in carbs. Not sure how early out your are, but I am 4.5 months out, and I haven't touched rice. Rice was one of my fav thing before surgery, so I think it may be a slippery slope for me to introduce it back into my diet. And definitely not something I want to ever consider in my first year post op. I want to maximize my weight loss!  Although the fat content and calories are not bad with most sushi options, the carb count is high for one meal. 

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 2:48 pm

thanks everyone.....I don't want to pu**** and I am sticking to my program, just wanted to throw it out there....and the verdict is no way!

Most Active
Recent Topics