Gastric Bypass after Lap Band Surgery

Karen K.
on 3/27/15 9:09 am - Ontatio, Canada

Hi Friends,

i had Lap Band Surgery in Toronto in 2007. This was paid for privately. I have presently put most of the weight back on and am wondering if I have options. I have had many fills and defills, it just stopped working and has not slipped but has likely stretched. I would qualify for RNY surgery with my BMI but am not sure what would be involved. Would they remove the band? Would I get a Referal for the Regestry? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K

KristieA
on 3/27/15 11:31 am - Orillia, Canada

Hi Karen

Someone in our local support group had issues with her band several years after having it done.   If memory serves me correct she recently had the band removed and rny done.   Not all surgeons will do the double procedure but once you are referred to the registry they will coordinate with the appropriate surgical team.   Your starting point will be the registry. 

All the best

Kristie 

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Dar_Tay
on 3/28/15 12:34 am - Canada

Hi Karen,

I recently had my band removed and in the process of RNY.  I've heard of people that have their band removed and RNY done at the same time, however my bariatric surgeon prefered to do the procedures separately.

If you would like to PM me any questions I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

softballqueen89
on 3/29/15 11:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/24/15

Hi Karen!

I too had Lap Band surgery, my first one was in 2006.  It eventually slipped and I had it replaced in 2013.  In hindsight, I should have just had it removed, but at the time, I thought it was my only option.

I have since gone through the Bariatric Registry and was approved for RNY and Lap Band removal (same surgery).

I had my surgery on February 24th, 2015 at TWH.  When I woke up I found that they had given me a sleeve.  Due to the erosion of my stomach from the band, and the starting of a couple small ulcers, they would have been unable to give me a pouch size that would prove effective.  They opted for the sleeve and I'm thrilled.....I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

Initially when I woke up I was disappointed as I had my heart set on the RNY, I had done all of my research surrounding the RNY, but the more I have had to think about it, and get used to is, I'm happy as can be!!  Other than the lack of mal-absorption, and no worry of dumping, I have all of the same benefits of an RNY.

If you want to PM me, by all means, please do.  It's been a long process, but I finally feel like I have had a surgery that is actually going to help me change my life!!!

I hope this helps!!

Tracy

Referral: 08.13.14  Orient (TWH): 11.05.14  Social: 11.27.14  Nurse Prac: 12.10.14  Psych: 01.12.15 Nutrition Class: 11.18.14  Scope: 01.06.15  Dietician: 12.12.14  Meet Surgeon: 02.06.15  Pre-Op Testing: 02.18.15  SURGERY DATE: 02.24.15 (Dr. Okrainec)    

donnamb
on 3/31/15 5:25 am - collingwood, Canada

Hi Karen, I do have a Lap Band and I am looking forward to being approved for a revision,  I was referred to the registry and I had my orientation in December of 2014, I am currently waiting for further appointments, and with any luck I will be approved  for RNY . Look forward to watching your journey.

Donna

Most Active
Recent Topics