Optifast Question

Andie74
on 4/17/15 10:51 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

I started Opti on Tuesday, and thought I was only supposed to take 3 packs a day.   Wednesday I re-read my information binder from the initial group session and determined that I was supposed to be taking 4 packs a day.   I lost 3lbs per day on Tuesday and Wednesday, but NOTHING on Thursday or Friday.   (no cheating).  

Did you all drink 4 packages per day??  Did anyone "stall" on Opti?   Considering that it's only 900cal per day and I had been eating close to 2500cal per day how can I not be losing weight already?

Thanks for your help.

Nanato2
on 4/17/15 11:24 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I drank all 4 packs. Everyone loses differently some people only lose 5 pounds during their time and others lose 20 pounds.  So don't get discouraged if you don't lose that much. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

mum2TNT
on 4/18/15 12:20 am - Oshawa, Canada

I also started OPTI this week, and lost 5 lbs in 2 days and then nothing yesterday.  It was a bit surprising since our calories have been so drastically cut.  I imagine we will see another loss in a couple of days, just keep plugging away.  Have you been having regular BM?  I also have been drinking the 4 each day so far and 2 cups of vegetables.  I am going to add the fibre to the OPTI starting today because I am so afraid of becoming constipated.  Where is your surgery and who is your surgeon, what date?

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Andie74
on 4/18/15 6:45 am, edited 4/18/15 6:49 am
RNY on 05/05/15

I wasn't told I was allowed to have vegetables.... that would be SWEET.   My stomach is so empty on fluid alone.  Yeah the BM's seem to be normal, and I didn't really get sick like I thought I would.   Just a little weak.   I have my surgery on May 5th at Toronto Western with Dr. Jackson.   We seem to be right in the same time-frame.   :)

Kate M.
on 4/18/15 1:54 pm - toronto, Canada

Yep, 4 packs per day. TWH program does not include vegetables. I just finished my first week of Opti and veggies would be amazing.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

sweethappiness
on 4/19/15 5:37 am - Canada

Hi, if you don't mind  me asking,why did you have to revisit the nurse, dietitian and social worker? I have my apt this week. Do you have any helpful advice. Thanks

mum2TNT
on 4/19/15 7:39 am - Oshawa, Canada
On April 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM Pacific Time, sweethappiness wrote:

Hi, if you don't mind  me asking,why did you have to revisit the nurse, dietitian and social worker? I have my apt this week. Do you have any helpful advice. Thanks

Hi there....not sure if you were asking me this or not but I thought I would answer anyhow.  I was asked to make some more changes to my eating habits and diary by the dietitian.  Because I told her I ate at night because of boredom, she said I had emotional eating issues and thats why the SW wanted to see me again also.  The nurse said, just to see her again because I was seeing the others LOL   I was very honest with my eating diary and I certainly wasn't eating near enough proteins.  I could no longer eat at the couch or in front of the TV.  I went back a month later, and they were satisfied with my changes I made, although still asked me to up the protein, and with food NOT the protein shakes!  Good Luck

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

sweethappiness
on 4/19/15 7:59 am - Canada

Thanks, that's the information I. Was looking for. I have my appointment on Tuesday. I will keep you posted.

Seyenna
on 4/18/15 12:22 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm the worst one to say this because I struggle with it too.. but pay no mind to the scale. I lose weight in chunks, for example. I will "stall" for a week and then lose 10 lbs the next. It's mind boggling and frustrating to say the least, but my weight loss chart looks like steps rather than a slope, lol. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

highlandbear
on 4/18/15 10:06 am - Canada

Do away with the scales. The scale can become your worst enemy.  The weight will come off. The main reason for the Opti is to help shrink the liver which is the important thing. I drank most days the 4 of them. There is a reason why they say 4.  Good luck follow the program you will be fine. 

Most Active
Recent Topics