Dumping syndrome - does this mean I won't have it?

Dreamy74
on 4/19/15 11:11 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all!

Last night with my fiancée and a friend of ours, we went to have an English roast dinner at a British pub near our friend's place.  Of course I didn't eat much and chewed carefully - the usual.  Dinner was great.  Then the server brought out the free dessert that went with it - sticky toffee pudding and I took a bite then had her take it away.  It was really sugary and syrupy.  I kept thinking I was going to dump but I didn't.  Does this mean I just got lucky as a one off or does it mean I probably won't dump?  Anyone have a similar experience?  Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dreamy

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Catw
on 4/19/15 11:51 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Unfortunately, this doesn't prove one way or the other whether you will dump.  Not everyone dumps on the same thing, and I find it also depends on what I've eaten before I eat a trigger.  Also, it depends on how much of the trigger I eat.

I may not dump on sweet stuff all the time, but I usually find it too sweet and not very tasty.  Which causes me to avoid future tries.

Cathy

Patm
on 4/20/15 12:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Quataty can play a part. Also the futher out I am the more things have started to bother me. Since having something cause this can ruin your night out Iwould just be glad it didn't happen.

Not everyone dumps. We can not rely on that as a way to make sure we do not consume sugar

Can_Lil_Saint
on 4/20/15 1:51 am - Georgetown, Canada

I haven't had dumping either.  I did have a "rebound" when I ate too fast mind you.

I find if I eat something that is high in sugars, I will get heart palpitations and that is scary enough for me.

Good for you on sending the pudding away!  I usually end up giving food to my hubby LOL

Karen M.
on 4/20/15 9:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

Heart palpitations are a symptom of dumping syndrome, so I guess you have!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/20/15 4:19 am - Ottawa, Canada

I've only dumped about three or four times in almost three years.  I do try to avoid sugars, but sometimes do want a couple of bites of dessert if I'm out at a fancy restaurant (so not an every day or even an every week type of occurence, but occasional). I've never dumped from a couple of bites, but also don't pu**** much beyond a couple of bites.

You may get dumping one day, but not another.  My first dumping happened when I was about eight months out and ate an apple before going to the gym...too much sugar in this particular apple, maybe the apple was too big, maybe I was affected by other things that day...who knows.  I still eat apples fairly regularly, and have not dumped on them since that one time.  But I am very aware that it could happen, so if I'm going anywhere fancy/ have to be in company, well, I try to avoid the large sweet apples (or other types of sugar or high fat content). 

Second time, was my fault...darn those Christmas cookies!  Just one...probably would have been fine, but didn't stop at one.  Good lesson.  Luckily, slept it off and was a-okay the next morning.  But good reminder. 

You'll figure out your restrictions as you move on, but as others have said, don't count on dumping to be your main motivation not to eat sugars or fats!  That should come from your new way of eating.  And for me, that's what i rely on (except the very occasional treat!).

Good luck!

DD

birdiegirl
on 4/20/15 4:23 am

^^^ what Delilah said

Also - I would strongly urge you to refrain from tasting anything this early in the process.  One bite can trigger the memory of sweets and simple carbs - and get you thinking about it for the next time.

Try try try to stick to the straight and narrow at least the first 6-9 months and longer if possible.  This is the best route to a successful outcome...as in weight loss goals met!

HFA70
on 4/23/15 3:20 am

I couldn't agree more with Birdiegirl!

Especially this early on, you should be sticking strictly to your doctor's plan.

I was 9 months out before I started experimenting with "forbidden" foods. 

I do stay away from breads, pastas and chips as these were trigger foods for me.  I never eat dessert, unless it's a yogurt or something I have prepared myself.

Most Active
Recent Topics