The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Blueeyednikki
on 4/25/15 8:51 am - Canada

The Good - Wednesday was surgery day and all went well.  I had lost 27 LBS prior to surgery and the surgeon said it aided in making the surgery go well...no fat around the liver etc.  I've got 3 boxes of vanilla Optifast for sale if anyone is interested.

The Bad - Came home yesterday and I felt so overwhelmed with measuring and grinding pills and making sure I was getting enough protein blah blah blah.  I think poor sleep at the hospital and major surgery/meds etc attributed to this feeling.  I remember thinking...WTF was I thinking doing this? What have I done to myself?   But a night sleep in my own bed, a warm shower this morning and lots of help readjusted my view on things....this too shall pass.

The Ugly - I pooped the day after surgery and the nurse and dietician applauded like I'd laid the golden egg lol.  And then twice again today (although I don't know where it's coming from because I can't be bothered to eat much).  Cottage Cheese isn't sitting well so I'll re-visit in a week or so.  I went to Popeyes and got a tub of grape flavoured whey protein.  They said I could return it if I didn't tolerate it or even like it.  I can't do anymore chocolate or vanilla shakes for a bit.

This is quite a trip and it's not for the weak hearted but when I see all that so many of you have accomplished I just keep putting one step in front of the other.  

Thanks for listening

anewbodforme2015
on 4/25/15 11:25 am - Canada

Congrats on your surgery, I haven't reached that stage yet soon I hope but I'm sure it's all normal. One day at a time

roxytrim
on 4/25/15 12:30 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Oh boy...that brings back memories.  Welcome to the first week on the bench.  You have done a perfect job of capturing what it is like. You also have a great attitude and realize that as every hour goes by it all gets better.

Keep plugging along the hardest part is over - good for you.

Blueeyednikki
on 4/25/15 1:41 pm - Canada

Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing with all of us newbies.

mum2TNT
on 4/26/15 1:20 am - Oshawa, Canada

YAY congrats girl YOU DID IT!!!! My surgery isn't until Wednesday but from everything I have read here, the first couple of weeks are the toughest and then it gets easier.  Thank YOU so much for your excellent post on how it all went and what to expect :)  

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Blueeyednikki
on 4/26/15 8:14 am - Canada

Good luck on Wednesday and keep in touch!

MeltingMindyLoo
on 4/26/15 6:21 am - Sudbury, ON, Canada
RNY on 07/21/15

Congratulations on your surgery, and on facing all its challenges with such grace.  AS someone who  hasn't had the surgery yet, I really value the perspective you have about the process.  Thank you for sharing it with us. 

crqvingchange
on 4/27/15 5:43 am

I sent you a message, check your inbox.  Welcome to the bench, you'll do great.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active
Recent Topics