Questions

Smallermenow
on 5/2/15 1:38 pm

Hi all,

I am going into day 9 post-op and I have a couple of questions.  First of all, I have had no real issues since my RNY surgery April 24th. No complaints.   I was told that my steri-strips would fall off on their own in 5-7 days.  So far they are holding strong.  Should I remove them or just leave them alone?  Also, TMI but I have only had two BMs since the day before surgery.  Surgery was Friday and I was successful (BM wise) on Wednesday and Saturday.  I am taking the stool softener twice a day and laxative at night.  I was just wondering about adding Benefiber to my protein shakes in the mornings.  Right now I am drinking water, protein shakes, homemade smoothy (skim milk, yogurt, egg, and protein powder)  and using applesauce to take my pills. 

Thank you for your input!!

Julie

Herecomeshealth
on 5/2/15 9:52 pm

I started using benefibre at about 1 week. I drink it in herbal tea. I also find walking helps get me moving. My rny was Feb 26. I continue to use stool softener, benefibre and walk. I find this very helpful.

mum2TNT
on 5/2/15 11:15 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hi Julie   You are ahead of me by 5 days but I wonder if you added some vegetable soup, like cream of potato, or cream of broccoli, something with the fibre to help you poop.  I may be just one of the lucky ones, because I have gone each morning since day 2 post op.  My nurse at HRRH told me if they didn't fall off on their own in a week, to remove them if I wanted to....so I think its just up to you.  Good Luck to you and hoping you get some relief soon!

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

W8_No_More
on 5/3/15 1:22 pm - Kitchener, Canada

I finally took my steri-strips off at the 2 week mark. One incision was infected and I could then treat it. Constipation was the biggest issue I had after surgery. I was taking stool softeners but it still became a huge issue and it was misery until things got moving again. I think part of the problem is that drinking enough water can be a challenge. If you're taking fibre (Metamucil etc) make sure you drink enough water or it can make matters worse. I would think with daily laxatives you're probably okay...just not going much because your intake is minimal. You can call your clinic if in doubt but definitely don't let it go for too long if too much time elapses between BMs. Good luck!

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

Smallermenow
on 5/3/15 1:23 pm

Thank you guys for your replys.  I appreciate it.  I am feeling better today.  Down 17 lbs from beginning two weeks of optifast.  Certainly can't complain.  I decided to take off the bandages today.  Everything looks good, relatively speaking.  The real hard part is letting other people do things for me.  I live alone so I am used to taking care of everything myself.  I am also finding it hard to get everything in every day.  Feels like unless I just sit in front of a clock and time out everything, there just isn't enough time to take all the pills.  I have a few that are "do not take this for two hours before or after other medications".  I know it will get easier and I will find a way to make it into a routine, but for now it is annoying.  Anyway, thank you agian for responding.  Have a great night!

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics