Local Hospital 0 --- Toronto Western 10

KerryF.
on 5/21/15 4:57 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

Well once again a reminder if you are having problems go to the hospital that did your surgery. 

I have been sick since Monday May 11 (my husbands birthday dinner) and was out of town at our trailer in the woods so when we got home Monday I went straight to my local hospital (Brampton Civic) and explained the pain, the surgery I had 19 months ago and they genuinely tried to be on top of it, put me in for a CT scan immediately, but then didn't know what they were looking for. the doctor actually said I see something on the screen but it's like a haze and I don't know what it is. But they saw my bowels was backed up and I had gallstones and hernia. But maybe the problem is just the constipation so they sent me home with a laxative script.

Next morning knowing my body and it wasn't constipation I emailed Sandra Robinson from TWH and she told me to come to emerg, they brought a Bariatric surgeon down to see me and re-did all the tests and low and behold I have a serious hernia which had twisted my bowels and tearing it and my gallbladder was "chalk full of stones". And surgery was scheduled within 2 hours after seeing the new CT scan.  Damn!!! They act fast and look after us Bariatric patients!! Always trust your hospital!!

Dr. Botkiins said it was the most twisted bowel he had ever seen, took them an hour just to sort it all out before repairing.  

Today I'm up walking and passing gas just like déjà vu  and going home soon!

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Catw
on 5/21/15 5:15 am - Arnprior, Canada

Glad to hear that you have it all sorted out.  It's scary when they put you through the system that fast, but good to know that they did.

Heal well!

Cathy

Jiliana2
on 5/21/15 6:15 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Scary stuff! I'm so glad your own hospital sorted it out. They just know what to look for so it's wonderful that you listened to your own intuition and got in touch with your surgeon. Fingers crossed you're on the mend and that nothing like THAT happens ever again!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Patm
on 5/21/15 6:17 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have heard stories like this before. It is unfortunate the local hospitals can't help. You were smart to go back to TWH. Glad you are on the mend

NewMe2.0
on 5/21/15 6:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I am happy you had the foresight to contact your clinic and go to TWH. 

Must have been scary for you.  I am glad that they found the problem and fixed it quickly. 

Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Kate M.
on 5/21/15 7:17 am - toronto, Canada

I would lodge a complaint with the college of physicians and surgeons. That's a serious thing to miss/gloss over. Glad to hear that TWH caught it.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

birdiegirl
on 5/21/15 8:49 am

Often things get misdiagnosed - or it takes a few trys to get it right.  this doesn't mean the hospital staff is incompetent - just like many complex things it sometimes takes trial and error.

Sounds to me like she received reasonable care and was correct in returning to the hospital that specialized in our type of surgery/issues. 

Too many complaints etc can have a detrimental effect on doctors - hospital staff responding to issues.  You have to be careful not to overuse this.  Its also very important that a doctor does not 'over' diagnose - this can cause unnecessary surgeries and unpleasant tests.  They have to use their general knowledge to figure out a "reasonable" outcome.

And...at the end of the day - we have to use common sense re our body and knowing what and how we feel.  Sounds like Kerry did this.

KerryF.
on 5/21/15 1:21 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I agree completely. and oddly enough I had a couple missed calls on my phone yesterday and googled the number and it was the local hospital   I didn't call them back but my sister suggested they probably re-looked at the test results.

kellybelly333
on 5/21/15 8:03 am - Toronto, Canada

Crazy stuff, but glad you are all fixed up. You'll be back in your running shoes in no time...but be a good girl and listen to the surgeon. No running until he says it's ok!! Nice to meet you in person. Wish I could have stayed longer!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

KerryF.
on 5/21/15 1:19 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

SO NICE TO MEET YOU thank you for coming upstairs to see me

Most Active
Recent Topics