The real deal: body after surgery.

Toronto Girl
on 5/22/15 9:47 am

I just got my orientation date at TWH for mid-summer. 

But I want to hear the REAL TRUTH (good or bad!) about your body once you are on the bench.

Can you ever drink wine again? Can you ever eat bread or pasta again? I'm not talking about platefuls - but at all?

Does your body look good naked - or did most of you end up wanting plastic surgery? 

How long after surgery until you can run around again? 

I want all the REAL details! 

Jiliana2
on 5/22/15 10:45 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I am about 15 months post-op and yes, I enjoy a bit of wine now and then. Not much, and not often, but I still like a couple of ounces here and there.

I don't eat much bread... then again, I never did. My pasta consumption was high pre-op, but two weeks ago I had 1/2 cup with my homemade sauce (with ground beef in the sauce) and the little bit of pasta hurt me. I couldn't finish the 1/2 cup at all. It really was painful. My new sleeve (I had the VSG) doesn't like pasta, potatoes, bready stuff at all really, so I limit that sort of thing severely.

Look good naked? Certainly better than I did at 303 lbs! I am debating plastics right now but I want to maintain my loss and continue to exercise. I am finding that the exercise is helping me tone a lot and it may take another year or so before things settle into place. Only then will I make a decision, I think. I confess though: I would love to put "the girls" back up where they belong! LOL

When you say "run around" after surgery, I'm not sure what you mean. I was up and walking the same day as surgery. Though I did feel out of sorts from the effects of the anaesthesia and painkillers; it took me about 4 or 5 days to feel like myself again. I took 4 weeks off work as my doctor asked me to do, and I focussed on getting into a good routine and eating right for my new body. At 4 weeks I went back to work, and walked slowly on a treadmill. By week 6 or 7 I was able to kick it up a notch. Now, at 15 months out, I'm preparing to run my first 5K tomorrow and I'm sooooo excited! *dances*

Never in a million years would I have believed you if 2+ years ago, you had told me that I would be addicted to running and doing a 5K! This new life is incredible and I am loving every moment. I advise that you go to the orientation with an open mind and a thought towards learning about your options. That said, this board has lots of success stories, if you stick to your program!

Wishing you luck for the orientation. I'm sure it'll go super well!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/15 11:03 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I am 1yr and 1 month post op.  

I do not drink so can't answer your wine question, but I can eat anything I want in moderation....having said that I am not a big rice and pasta eater and don't like bread much.  I eat melba toast and pita bread daily though.

I am picky about my body and at some point will want a little work done, but I look good in a bathing suit and clothes and short shorts etc....but it really depends on the person....

You can move about immediately after surgery but working out etc you should wait a month.

I think the important questions you may want insight into is how does one feel:

I feel so much better and healthier and happier.  I no longer obsess about food and no longer crave fast food, sugar and soda (my vices).  I have had one migraine since the operation, whereas before I had them daily....

I do not regret this operation even .000000000000001%.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Catw
on 5/22/15 11:43 am - Arnprior, Canada

Can you drink again?  Yes, but not as much as you used to.  I can have 1 drink over the course of the evening.  Even at almost 4 years out, I "feel" the alcohol very quickly.  And it can wear off just as quick.  Like everyone, some drink**** me harder than others.  I wouldn't even try drinking until about a year out, and even so, take the first one to be an oz or so, and at home or where it's safe.  Other than the effects of alcohol, you'll have to watch for dumping (sugar content).

Yes, you can eat bread or pasta again physically. But for some, it can start carb cravings and lead you down a path that you do not want to go down.

Does your body look good naked?  Do you mean do you have lots of excess skin?  It's different for each of us.  My skin has been stretched too much, and won't tighten up fully.  But for some, it does tighten, and they have minimal excess skin.  Would I like plastics??? Sure, but can't afford it any time soon.  It's more important to accept who you are, at all stages of your journey.  I started this path looking and feeling like a blob.  Now, while I may not be a super model, I can clean up real good.

As for running around, depends on your definition.  I was walking in hospital. And within the first week I was shopping (had to take breaks, but...) and I wasn't alone shopping.  I was doing stairs the day I came home (had to, to put my boys to bed).

As someone said, it's not how you look, but how you feel.  4 years ago, I couldn't do much with my boys.  Now I'm skating with them, and I am the parent pitcher for my youngest softball team (5 pitch, if the batter hasn't hit after 3, the coach/parent finishes up).  I'm not a blob any more. 

Has it been easy to get this far?  Nope, it's work.  But the work is worth it, when my boys ask me to play.  Or when I outlast them on the rink.

Cathy

Patm
on 5/22/15 12:14 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You can drink in moderation but best after you hit goal since it is empty calories.

I eat bread seldom again empty calories. I have an RNY. I have limited space for food. So I eat protein first then veg then se if I have room for anything else. I seldom do.

I am older. My body looked like hell before surgery. Now it is pretty saggy. I have tightened up with exercise but I will never lose some of the excess skin. I look a hell of a lot better in clothes than before and there is so much more selection. I used to hate shopping not I love it too much

It is very important to start walking in the hospital. You have excess gas you need to get moving and walking helps.

The most important thing I can tell you is to start looking at why you are obese. What drives you to eat. Start dealing with these issues and making some changes. Cravings and head hunger do not go away.

Also the first year to 18 months are really important. You have a window of opportunity to lose the most weight. Stick to plan and you will do great.

I love my life now. I am so much more active and able to participate in almost anything I want to even at 63.

Karen M.
on 5/22/15 1:25 pm - Mississauga, Canada

So if I'm reading this correctly, your biggest concerns/questions about weight loss surgery are drinking wine, eating pasta and bread, and being naked? Surely you must have other questions? Or....?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

new_me180
on 5/22/15 5:31 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

LOL Karen, you keep so real.

Toronto Girl
on 5/22/15 11:46 am, edited 5/22/15 11:46 am

@Karen...

They were obviously examples. This forum is full of people who are talking about what they are eating and what they are doing and what appointments they have.

I was asking some real questions that I didn't find answered in other places. I thought this was the forum for that.

Thanks for your input and support. 

Karen M.
on 5/23/15 7:13 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think once you read and participate awhile longer you'll find that this forum is far more than what people are eating, doing, and appointment attending. Red flag for me when someone new asks about the possibility to drink alcohol, eat white carbs, and sagging skin before even getting to orientation. The vast majority of people here are most concerned with regaining their health after years and years of morbid obesity - being able to drink wine, eat crap and get naked aren't so much a priority. You wanted "REAL" - that's what my reaction and response to you was.

Since you're new - the magnifying glass in the upper right corner is a search tool and very useful.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Toronto Girl
on 5/23/15 7:22 am

I thought this would be a supportive place where I could ask questions that may not be answered other places (including using the hour glass which I have obviously been doing...).

Thanks for the judgement @karen. You have made me feel completely unwelcome. If you don't have a productive answer to my question,  perhaps you didn't need to answer. 

Most Active
Recent Topics