Curious

Dar_Tay
on 5/22/15 1:48 pm - Canada

I'm curious to know if anyone has actually been "denied" surgery completely and if so, what would the reasons be?? 

I've heard some people on the forum say they were asked to work on things to help make the lifestyle changes easier post op and this delayed their surgery, but eventually they had the surgery.

This is a little debate a friend and I are having right now. I say, yes for sure you can be denied.  She says there is no way they can deny you..  

hmmmmm  --- thoughts???

Kate M.
on 5/22/15 2:50 pm - toronto, Canada

People get denied. But if you are willing to work at it and can prove you definitely need the surgery it is usually more of a waiting game. And if you're willing to pay ca**** is possible find a less scrupulous surgeon to do it in the States/Mexico even without comorbidities.

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

Roma
on 5/22/15 7:48 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

When I spoke with the psychologist she told me that people with serious mental illnesses (such as schizophrenia) are often denied. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

This G.
on 5/22/15 8:35 pm - Canada

The first time I went through they asked me to wait a year because I have above average muscle mass so I am not as overweight as i appear. . . :(

My Dr. said that is BS but my requisition were having issues and i am just going back in the next few weeks. 

Karen M.
on 5/23/15 7:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, people can most definitely be denied surgery for many reasons - unwillingness to implement changes in lifestyle (smoking, food choices), unmanaged physical health issues (ie. not on meds for diabetes, not using CPAP for sleep apnea, etc.), unmanaged mental health issues (not taking prescribed medication or the right amount to assist in improving mental health, unwillingness to seek further assistance such as therapy, etc.), or simply due to serious health issues that would make the surgery too dangerous to perform (cancer, severe cardiac issues, liver disease, etc.).

I think maybe what your friend means is that you can't be denied if your BMI is 40+ or 35+ comorbidities. Technically true, as those are the guidelines set out by OHIP, but the above noted conditions also apply.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Dar_Tay
on 5/23/15 10:52 am - Canada

Thanks everyone! Makes sense to me for sure. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics