Protein question please & thanks!

annieliv
on 5/25/15 5:09 pm - Toronto, Canada

Did anyone else at the stage I'm at now (5 weeks post-op) have issues with not getting in enough protein?

I am not able to stomach  powder made or Premier Plus Chocolate Shakes anymore. Just the smell of them....blech! I'm hoping Costco will have Vanilla and/or I will be trying a GNC ready made shake. Until then,  I continue to add Whey Protein Isolate to all yogurt, apple sauce, soups, etc.

I have also found that I cannot eat past 7pm.  I go to bed early and find I get nauseous if I eat too soon before bed.

I have had 2 days where I only got in 50g protein.  I'm getting in all my water and taking my vitamins on schedule every day.

I know the importance of protein both for healing, and weight loss vs. muscle loss.  I guess I'm hoping that this is just part of the learning curve and that I'm stressing about this more than I should.

Anyone have words of wisdom/advice?

Thank you!

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

judyeliz
on 5/25/15 5:18 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Hi Annie, I really like the syntrax fuzzy naval protein shake.  I just mix with water and ice, and it has a nice orange juice flavour.  Sometimes I add a little crystal light tangerine grapefruit powder to make it extra tangy.  It is a nice change from the milky drinks.

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

annieliv
on 5/25/15 5:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank you Judy, I'll give it a try

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Catw
on 5/26/15 9:48 am - Arnprior, Canada

Judy, where do you get your syntrax?  I'm quite interested in the fuzzy navel, or any other juice ones that they might have.

Cat

judyeliz
on 5/26/15 12:16 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

Hi Cat, I order online from the low carb grocery.  They have a store in Marham if you live near there.

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Syntrax

Not sure if this link will work, you may have to copy and paste.

They have lots of other flavours, but I have only tried the fuzzy naval.

judy

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

Catw
on 5/26/15 12:20 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Thanks, a few of those flavours sound quite interesting.  Will have to try them, one at a time.

Cathy

lcraver
on 5/28/15 8:17 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

If you go to Nashua Nutrition, you can get samples of a lot of different powder protein and they have the Synthrax ones. Just search under protein samples

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

KerryF.
on 5/25/15 6:29 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I can honestly say I hated Premier Protein shakes for the first 6 months (even gave a couple cases away so my husband would think I was drinking them) and for the next 6 months choked them back and then the next 6 months started loving them, now at 19 months post op...... I savor ever last drop I can shake out of the container.  it was truly a learned flavor and now a love affair

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

crqvingchange
on 5/26/15 2:39 am

Finding a protein shake that you like can be difficult.  I disliked the fuzzy navel shake, but everyone is different.  Greek yogurt can pack alot of protein and Source has flavours like apple pie which are good, shrimp has a lot of protein.  For me the protein drink I like the best was Chike coffee, but it was expensive to order.  Now it's easier to drink the RTD shakes, but I usually add decaf crystals to the vanilla flavour because I find them so sweet.  Good luck, it will get easier.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Karen M.
on 5/26/15 3:12 am - Mississauga, Canada

The smell will get you every time and I couldn't agree more. Premier changed their packaging recently to a pour/sip screw-top so I'm able to drink it straight out of the little carton without having to smell it. They actually changed their formulation also and I find the chocolate much more palatable with the thinner consistency (like chocolate milk, not so thick). I like the vanilla Premier myself, and the Chike iced coffee though as CC mentioned it has to be ordered and shipped from Texas ($$).  

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics