Dealing with possible adhesions

Caroline K.
on 7/7/15 10:00 am

At 16 months out, things have been going extremely well. The only odd thing was that in May, I started getting occasional pains in a horizontal line a couple of inches above the belly button and from side-to-side, ending just before the rib cage. Basically, whenever the abdominal muscles engaged in sitting up/lying down. My massage therapist and chiropractor both think it might be adhesions/scar tissue from the RNY followed by a gall bladder removal. (Interestingly enough, my chiropractor thinks that could explain the weird bouts of nausea I had last fall due to where the pressure hits various nerves.) 

Anyways, does anyone have ideas on how to work with this? Is there anything I can do to help it heal better or faster? Thanks!

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

kellybelly333
on 7/7/15 11:48 am - Toronto, Canada

I would think a proper diagnoses from your surgeon would be your best bet. I had to have surgery as my adhesions caused a bowel obstruction (that is just a warning, not saying that is what you have). I would give your centre a call.  

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Caroline K.
on 7/7/15 12:56 pm

I did talk to them initially, but they just suggested that I keep monitoring the situation. It's not getting worse, but it's also not getting better. You're right, though, I should phone again anyways just so that there's a record. Sigh. Tomorrow.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Caroline K.
on 7/13/15 9:04 am

In case this helps anybody, I just saw my surgeon this morning. He diagnosed costochondritis ("...inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone (sternum)"). Of course, the only way to cure it is to use NSAIDs. So, not unless you're desperate--I'm not there yet! However, he did say that he's had some patients have it so badly on the left-hand side that they thought they were having a heart attack!

Most Active
Recent Topics