I just want a real coffee

HKT53
on 8/3/15 11:16 am - Toronto, Canada

I was curious...had my RNY July 10. Am I to understand I can only have decafinated coffe for the rest of my life. When can I have a REAL coffee? I'm thinking that's why I feel tired all the time. Just need a kick start. Is that possible?

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

meowface
on 8/3/15 11:30 am - Canada

TWH says you can have coffee. I would only have one though. Something about ulcers and whatnot. I was just ranting on another post about how each centre has different rules.

I would say have a cup and see how you feel. It's not going to kill you. (I am not a doctor and have no right to say what will or will not kill you)

Orientation @TWH Jan 26 2015 // Social Worker March 9 2015 // Nurse Practitioner March 11 2015 // Psychology April 28 2015  // Nutrition Class May 19 2015 // Dietitian June 9 2015 // Meet Dr.Penner July 3 2015 // OptiFast start Aug 5 2015 // Surgery @ TWH August 25 2015!

HKT53
on 8/3/15 11:51 am - Toronto, Canada

I only want one. Actually, I satisfied with 3/4 cup so I'm going to venture it tomorrow morning. I am used to nursing my coffee over a long period of time to mid morning. Then I just throw it out. I like TWH. Mind you, I have to see dietician Wednesday at HRRH. If she doesn't ask, I won't tell. Some forum people in the states say it is fine too. THANKS

Helen

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Zizzler
on 8/3/15 12:55 pm

Feeling tired is normal the first few months after surgery.  Follow what your centre tells you, they are the experts.  If they tell you it is ok then go for it, if not then stick with the decaf.  I know, I love coffee too, but I did not have a real one until 6 months post op when my centre said it would be ok for me on occasion.  And that was for me and at my centre, everyone is different and every centre is different, it is an individual thing.  At one month post op you really need to be following their instructions and not experimenting.  It is also important not to compare yourself to others in what they can eat and drink, how much they lose, etc.   My advice is to find a decaf you like and drink that for now, call your centre if you are not sure.  If you are tired then sleep and rest, make sure you get your protein, water, and all your vitamins in.  If you are concerned about your energy contact your centre and they can advise you.  Let us know how you are feeling, your energy should return little by little but give yourself time to heal. 

mum2TNT
on 8/3/15 2:10 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there...I had surgery April 29 and only had decaf until my 1 month dietitian follow up where she said there is absolutely NO scientific proof that caffeine is a bad thing.  She went on to say that they obviously do not want you drinking a pot a day, as it will take away from the water you should be drinking, but having 1 cup a day is perfectly fine.  so thats what I do.....1 a day :)  This was at Humber River.

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

judyeliz
on 8/3/15 6:00 pm
RNY on 04/24/15

I had to stop caffeine over a year ago due to a heart condition.  I have a tassimo and I buy the decaf disks from tim hortons.  It is really good, and I don't miss the caffeine at all anymore.  I occasionally have a chai tea that has caffeine, maybe two or three a month.  

Maybe if you try a different decaf, you might also find one you like. 

Orientation HRRH Aug 18/14, Ist surgeon appt. Dr. Huynh Oct 28/14, Nurse/Dietitian/SW Dec 19/14, Dr. Glazer Mar 9/15, 2nd surgeon visit Dr. Huynh Mar 10/15, Surgery date April 24. 

HFA70
on 8/4/15 11:36 am

I drink decaf coffee at home-after I've had my first regular coffee in the morning.  I only drink reg. coffee when I go out, I tried to only drink decaf, but most of the time it tastes like dishwater. 

A "real" coffee now and again will not affect you or your progress. 

HKT53
on 8/4/15 11:51 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks. Turns out I have to see the dietician tomorrow morning. So I will wait for her blessing on the coffee. One more day will not kill me. I am just so tired and I am hoping the regular coffee gives me a kick. Can you believe it...I had my revision surgery July 10...I lost 11 lbs the first three weeks and only about 820 to 850 cal a day. I am stuck at this weight for over a week. Unbelieveable

Karen M.
on 8/4/15 11:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

Actually, it's totally believable. Stalls happen all. the. time.

Do a search for "3 week stall" here on OH - you will get literally thousands of posts about the same. exact. thing.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

HKT53
on 8/4/15 12:40 pm - Toronto, Canada

Uhh how do you like that. Guess my body is getting wise to me depriving of carbs and confused over the amount of protein I am taking in. I keep telling myself...it is not how fast I lose. It's all about my quality of life and health since I had this revision. I am sooooo much better off. Two years nothing but vomitting 6 times a day and getting only the nutrients found in 3 bottles of ensure a day.

Most Active
Recent Topics