One week out - People who are about to go in may want to read. This is what I experienced.

meowface
on 9/1/15 8:24 am - Canada

Last week at this time I was waking up in the recovery room being asked "whats my pain level at" in which I replied 8.

I spent most of last Tuesday in a Morphine induced nap, it was kind of nice albeit painful when the drugs wore off. I got up a couple times to pee and took one walk around the halls.

Wednesday was a little better. early in the day they took me off the pole (IV fluids) but I still had to keep that dang IV thing in my hand, worse part of it all for me. I still have a bruise and a hole that's going to leave a scar. I'll live but yeah that was the part I hated most. Because I was off the pole meant no more Morphine so onto Oxy. I really wanted to stay on top of the pain. This was my first surgery and everyone I know who has had surgery before told me to stay on top of it because once the pain comes in hard it's harder to get it to go away.

I did as much walking as I could on Wednesday, it was a little easier now that I didn't have to dance with the IV pole.

If you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend a private room. I have semi-private insurance and opted to pay the extra $45 a night. It was so worth it to have my own bathroom and not to worry about noise

Thursday morning at 6:41am I finally farted. I could go home. I was home by 11:30 Thursday morning.

I've had a couple moments of "This hurts so friggen much!" but as of today I am pain free. My last dose of Oxy was Sunday night. I've got several left but hubby and I realized we can skip having his script filled a couple months from now and he can use up the leftovers from me.

I wouldn't change a thing, I feel incredible. Everyday I'm getting better and hubby is itching for his turn to sit on this bench.

Orientation @TWH Jan 26 2015 // Social Worker March 9 2015 // Nurse Practitioner March 11 2015 // Psychology April 28 2015  // Nutrition Class May 19 2015 // Dietitian June 9 2015 // Meet Dr.Penner July 3 2015 // OptiFast start Aug 5 2015 // Surgery @ TWH August 25 2015!

ntensegirl
on 9/1/15 8:58 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

Loved hearing your experience..from someone that is going to be having surgery just over a month from now...it is good to hear from someone that is so new at the procedure!! I think right now I am most worried about the opti (for 3 weeks) and the surgery..I dont like IV..and I am really afraid for them to put it in..I know what a strange thing to worry about..but it really is the little things that are keeping me up at night..I am ready for this..but its one of those..lets get it over with..then the worrying can stop lol  Good luck to you on the rest of your journey and your husbands!!

meowface
on 9/1/15 9:08 am - Canada

I'm not going to lie to you. Opti sucked some of the time. Get lots of different SF flavours to dress it up and always have lots of ice in the freezer! It went by though and now I get soup lol! one week till pureed food!

It will all fly by and soon you'll be looking back at it as a distant memory. :D

Orientation @TWH Jan 26 2015 // Social Worker March 9 2015 // Nurse Practitioner March 11 2015 // Psychology April 28 2015  // Nutrition Class May 19 2015 // Dietitian June 9 2015 // Meet Dr.Penner July 3 2015 // OptiFast start Aug 5 2015 // Surgery @ TWH August 25 2015!

northernga1
on 9/1/15 9:41 am - Elliot Lake, Canada
On September 1, 2015 at 8:58 AM Pacific Time, ntensegirl wrote:

Loved hearing your experience..from someone that is going to be having surgery just over a month from now...it is good to hear from someone that is so new at the procedure!! I think right now I am most worried about the opti (for 3 weeks) and the surgery..I dont like IV..and I am really afraid for them to put it in..I know what a strange thing to worry about..but it really is the little things that are keeping me up at night..I am ready for this..but its one of those..lets get it over with..then the worrying can stop lol  Good luck to you on the rest of your journey and your husbands!!

I was terrified of having my iv put in when i went for surgery.  Years ago i had 2 c-sections and both times it was a horrible experience.  The day after my 2nd c-section i accidently pulled my iv out of the vein and had injected myself with the morphine pump..... into my muscle ouch.  The morning of my surgery i told the nurse i was terrified of getting the IV put in... she was very gentle and it was a breeze, they do this day in and day out and it was really a breeze.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

ntensegirl
on 9/1/15 9:13 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

its just good to have people on this site that when i do start to have an opti breakdown people are here to help LOL

B-Trix123
on 9/1/15 9:34 am - Toronto, Canada

I tried to get a private room at TEGH and the surgeon told me they don't put Bariatric patients in private rooms. All the specialty gear (1,000 lb beds, huge bathroom) and staff who specialize are dedicated to the one space. TEGH only has 2 large beds (mine broke) and I lucked out when it came to roommates. No constant cell phone ringing or huge parade of visitors. Her husband was lovely - we had a debate about Tequila - or at least I think we did. Could have been the morphine talking!

Helna_Handbasket
on 9/1/15 10:23 am - OWEN SOUND, Canada

ok glad I wasn't the only one that found the IV to be the most annoying.  That hurt like a SOB! More than any incision did.  lol

A friend, who's a nurse told me something I needed to hear.  Taking the pain meds helps with the healing process, so take them if you need them.  There's no hero awards for suffering.  She told me that because I'm stubborn and dislike taking a Tylenol let alone Oxy.  But they did help. 

Great advice on the private room.  Totally agree.  Thank you for sharing - awesome read :)

Referral: August 2014 Orientation: 28Nov14 Social Worker: 05Feb15 Nurse Practitioner: 25Feb15 Nutrition Class: 30Mar15 Dietitian: 14Apr15 Psychologist: 21Apr15 NP followup: 23Apr15 Meet Surgeon: 26June15 Start Opti/PreOp: 21July15 Surgery!: 04Aug15!! 

I keep a blog... you're welcome to read it anytime :)  https://heretoeaternity.wordpress.com/

LukesMom5
on 9/1/15 11:56 am - Lindsay, Canada

Thanks for the information as I have surgery this Friday, except at Humber with Dr Hagen :) I too worry more about the IV and feeling nausea. Since I dont have coverage for semi private I will just have to suck it up in the ward lol Im just grateful to have this opportunity :) Good luck to us ALL

HRRH Orientation Jan. 9, 2015 ~Sleep study Feb. 21, 2015~1st appt (Dr.Starr) June 15, 2015~ TRIO July 27, 2015 ~transfer to(Dr.Hagen) Aug 10, 2015 ~(Dr.Glazer) Aug.12,2015 ~PATTS Aug 19, 2015 ~start OPTI Aug.20, 2015 ~RNY SURGERY SEPT 4,2015

Go Team   

McCall
on 9/1/15 6:12 pm

I have spots on both hands and my arm from the IV still and I am 4 weeks out. My initial IV put in by the anestheologists slipped and my hand swelled up 4 times its regular size. They tried the other hand to no avail and then finally got it in my forearm. If they didn't get it they were going to have to call a doctor. I have small veins and they would collapse as soon as *****ed. I still have a bruise on my arm. 

Seev !
on 9/1/15 10:45 pm
RNY on 08/20/15

Hi there, good post.  I had my surgery 1.5 weeks ago and totally agree on the IV take. Not my favorite thing at all.  For the most part, I may have had an easier go of it.  In the OR late Thursday morning, released from the hospital 10 AM Friday morning.  I actually would have liked to stay another night just to adjust better, but there was an outbreak of something in my section, so I didn't mind leaving.

I shared a semi with a skinny dude that crashed during a triathlon.  He was nice enough, and he crushed a few pints with friends that would visit him.

I was off the pain meds within two days of release, though there was still pain in the incision areas.  I wanted to drive and  got sick of the sweet taste of the children's Tylenol.

Every day is going better than the previous now.

All the best,

Tom

Most Active
Recent Topics