Taking carb liberties

HKT53
on 10/5/15 6:01 pm - Toronto, Canada

i cant believe Im folding to carb liberties. Last week I saw the NUT and we went through my meals. She said I was doing great but that I could have a little more carbs. She suggested in mid afternoon I could overcome my weak hour if I had a couple of crackers. It would be perfectly OK to have a bit of starch at dinner. Well give me an inch and it seems like the carbs are playing vodoo on me. I caved and had a piece of apple pie last night. Now today all I want is something sweet. After my once and half of ground beef I wanted to settle my stomach with something sweet. It actually stopped me from wanting to vomit but now I want more sweet. I am 8 weeks out and Im folding. How do I get back to only meat and veggies?

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Incognito55
on 10/5/15 7:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

The only thing that works for me is to not include "trigger foods" in my meal plans.

Crackers, pasta, bread...etc are all things that I have no portion control. Having one cracker makes me want more...etc

Fat and protein satiate me more than any carb will.

Referral-October 2014Orientation (TWH)&Social Worker-January 2015Nutrition Class February 2015Nurse&Psych April 2015Dietician May 2015Surgeon June 2015Surgery August 11 2015 at TWH with Dr Jackson

HKT53
on 10/5/15 8:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thanks...before it gets out of hand, i need to get back to no trgger foods at all.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Roma
on 10/5/15 8:56 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Do you have any of the symptoms of insulin resistance (diabetes, PCOS, carry your weight around your middle, mood swings, etc)? If so carbs will effect you differently than the average person, and can cause major cravings. I find it best for me to avoid them entirely... but others may have different suggestions.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

HKT53
on 10/5/15 9:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

Interesting. Yes diabetes and mood swings. I was fine with little to no carbs but at 3:00 in afternoon crash badly so Dr and NUT say have carbs to get me through. I appear really run down and naucious. The nausea seems to go away with a ruce chips or crackers but I am very aggitated. Of the two states I think better to not have carbs and take a rest at 3:00 in afternoon.

Seyenna
on 10/5/15 9:53 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Skip the carbs and have a piece of cheese or something fatty, I find it works way better. I can't have carbs for the same reason... I'll just want more and more.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

tatirod
on 10/6/15 6:52 am - Toronto, Canada

There has been really great advice provided here... but one thing I thought of (as a vegetarian) is maybe you could incorporate beans? I don't know if they count as the typical carb trigger foods. I generally think of white starchy foods but it could be different for everyone. Edamame have protein and carbohydrates, so maybe a couple of those at 3pm would help? Just an idea.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

slrm2m2
on 10/6/15 11:49 am - Canada

Ditto to all the good replies above. Refined carbs are my slippery slope. It's humbling...I thought I was in control, but to have long term success I need to eat protein first at every meal and snack, then veggies and occasionally include moderate amounts of low GI fruits and complex carbs (sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa, corn, peas). I can also occasionally eat coconut or almond flour baked goods, but not too much or else it triggers a craving for the unhealthy baked goods. I do eat beans, but usually mixed with eggs, fish or other animal proteins. Beans don't seem to impact me in terms of carb cravings and they really fill me up.

Its truly amazing to realize that I need to eat this way, every day, for the REST OF MY FRIGGIN LIFE! I intellectually knew this, but now at almost 4 years post-op...I KNOW this. Its both liberating and daunting. Every year post-op I seem to have a brief new wave of grief and a mini-food funeral and then just accept this is how my relationship with food needs to be for me to have a healthy life. I'm thinking by year 10 I will be firmly in the groove, lol!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Zizzler
on 10/6/15 7:01 pm

My nut told me the same thing as I was having pretty intense dizziness, so I have added small amounts of fresh fruit and legumes. I have PCOS and am very sensitive to refined carbs and high carb foods so I do not keep them in my house. Even fruit and legumes trigger me to crave more of them, its crazy, so I know I need to keep portions small to keep from getting off track. At least with fresh fruit and legumes I am getting fibre and real nutrition instead of empty calories. I would increase carbs very slowly to see how you feel, rather than all at once.

If you do not already keep a food diary then you should start, it will help you see how many carbs you are getting in, it will be easier to stay on track. You could post on the What are you eating/doing today? postings, many people find this very helpful. So many times I have been bored and I get a good idea for a meal from the postings, its great. Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Recent Topics