Dr Klein and VSG

marielewis
on 10/8/15 8:16 am

I am meeting Dr Klein in November and after a lot of research I have decided that VSG is better route for me. I take a lot of anti inflammatory meds for fibro. Also it appears the end result is the same and in some cases better then RNY. Does anybody have an experience with Dr Klein and know if he is willing to do this procedure? I need to lose about 80-100 lbs ans my BMI is around 42. I am super nervous and very excited I have waited over a year for this appt.

kimber291
on 10/8/15 3:12 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I had a Dr Klein for my RNY he is amazing! No issues at all here. I will be 20 months post op on the 11th.

In regards to which procedure is done that is up to the Surgeon. Not the patient. I'm sure if you voice your concern he will take everything into consideration, but as far as I know VSG has to be approved by OHIP. I know both procedures have to be approved...but I think it is different with the sleeve.

Good luck with your upcoming journey!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

marielewis
on 10/8/15 6:38 pm

Thank you. I hope he agrees with why I think VSG is better for me! Is he easy to talk to, I feel like everyone says the appt is really quick....

IamBettyCooper
on 10/22/15 2:04 am

I will be very interested to hear how you get on. I take meds for arthritis and it seems like overall if you take meds, VSG is a better fit. I also like the idea that it is less invasive and seems to have a lower complication rate. I am still early in the process, just having my first assessment this week so am sure it will be months til I get assigned a surgeon. I also have two friends in the US who had VSG done and both had tremendous results with very little complications so I feel more comfortable with the idea of that procedure overall.

tuxedopants
on 8/3/16 1:56 pm

I am curious what response you got? When I asked him about getting a VSG for my own reasons, he said no...he does not like doing that procedure because there is a longer staple line and he has to do more sutures so it takes him longer. He also said the stuff about RNY being the gold standard, but that was his response about VSG. 

tuxedopants
on 8/3/16 2:04 pm

I am curious what response you got? When I asked him about getting a VSG for my own reasons, he said no...he does not like doing that procedure because there is a longer staple line and he has to do more sutures so it takes him longer. He also said the stuff about RNY being the gold standard, but that was his response about VSG. 

Tracks
on 8/4/16 8:01 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I've only had 1 appointment with Dr Klein so far.  I brought up VSG and the immediate response was RNY is superior.  That was it, end of discussion.  It was such a quick appointment, he didn't have much time for anyone that day as surgeries delayed him a few hours.  I figured I'd have another opportunity to discuss it, but my impression was I needed to accept that either I do RNY or I don't do it at all.   My next appointment should be in September if my trio appointments go well.  I will try and bring it up again.

marielewis
on 8/4/16 8:06 am

So a lot has changed for me since my original post.   I had rny on April 13 2016.    He took the time to explain to me why VSG was not a good option for me.  I have gerd and it makes it worse.  He also said complications are far more serious with VSG.  Although RNY. Is not without any.   Thankfully I have been doing well.  I a, pleased with him as my doctor and the results of my survey :-) 

Most Active
Recent Topics