Old habits are hard to break

Big_blue_eyes
on 11/24/15 4:06 pm - Canada

I've been very good on the opti for the last 2 weeks but today showed how ingrained some habits are. My husband's dinners up till now are things that I had frozen before starting the program. Today he asked if I would make one of his favourite meals (tuna noodle casserole yuk). I had to work really hard not to eat anything but after I had put it in the casserole dish I licked the spoon without even thinking. Just one more thing to work on.

Patm
on 11/24/15 6:04 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think you need to have a conversation with your husband, Why would he ask you to cook this when he knows you can not eat this. I would hope his support of your new lifestyle would start now

tatirod
on 11/24/15 7:12 pm - Toronto, Canada

Every time I tried a diet in the past, I felt like a complete failure when I did something like eat a piece of chocolate or a cookie. Realize you're not a failure, you're human. You licked a spoon. You know it's not something you should do all the time. Try not to do it again and don't beat yourself up over it. 

I enrolled in a food delivery service that provided a few pre-cooked meals a week for my husband. For the other days he would pick up take out (from a restaurant or pre-cooked food from a grocery store). If you feel like cooking is your weakness, tell him you can't do it. How is he going to survive when you're post-op and only on liquids? You're most likely not going to feel like cooking for at least a couple days when you get home. 

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Big_blue_eyes
on 11/24/15 9:01 pm - Canada

He's been great the last rwo weeks, he's  cooked his own dinner and made his own lunches. He has even eaten in another  room snd stopped snacking in the evening. I know not to beat myself up but I do need to be aware of habits I need to break. I have missed cooking and I know eventually I be back to it. Thanks for all the replies. 

DogGirl
on 11/25/15 7:46 am - Canada

I too am in week 2 of opti and found myself having to cook for family recently--certainly not easy but it is a reality that will set in at some point so I buckled down and got through it.  Only thing that kept me going was the dream of how good my new life will be and how hard I have worked so far to make myself, my health and my life better.  Far too much work to throw away for a tasty morsel. :-)

"The mind is its own place; and of itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

Most Active
Recent Topics