Home from Surgery at Humber Hospital

Pumpkin_Spice
on 11/26/15 8:46 am - BARRIE, Canada

pain, Pain PAIN!!! Omg! I think my c-section and gull-badder removal were less painful. They loaded me up on a morphine drip while at the hospital. Believe me, I was asking for it every 4 hours on the dot.  I had surgery scheduled for 8am on Monday November 23 and had to be there 2 hours early.  I registered and was weighed. I than had to change into my gown, booties and cap. All my clothes were bagged and put on a cart with my info.  I than walked into the operating room with the nurse and was introduced to the team.  I hopped up on the table and they started hooking me up. Thankfully they froze my hand before starting the intervenes because they were sure I'd be stuck a very times since my veins are tiny and hard to get.  I really appreciated that.  I was given oxygen and than the sleepy sleepy medicine.  I woke up very drowsy and placed in room 1001. It was a private room even though I told them a few times that I didn't have extra coverage. I hope I don't get a bill in the mail but even if I do, it was worth it.  My mom stayed the night with me.  I was there until Tuesday after lunch and I was sent home. I have a follow-up with Dr. Star on November 30th at 1pm.  My mom ran down to the pharmacy with my cash and filled my scripts. I already had the vitamins, so I didn't fill those.  It all equaled like $400 I think.  I was given liquid tylenol and Oxycoden for pain.  I was sure to take an oxycoden before my ride home so that it would hurt as much over the bumps.  

Since I've been home, I basically have slept and taken meds, breathing exercises, tooting and sipping water.  I have gotten in a little yogurt, skim milk and jello.  Today I had soup.  Today I am trying to stay up and walk around.  The pain isn't as bad now. Hopefully by my follow-up appointment, the pain will be gone.  

Surgery weight was 268. Today I weigh 266.  I know I need to try to eat more and I will.  So happy to finally be on the losers bench. 

Yesterday I was going to call you all a bunch of crazy sons of *****es for doing this ! LOL. But it's worth it now after the pain is getting better.  

Humber River Orientation: Oct 2014 - Meet Surgeon Dr. Starr: Mar 23, 2015 - Trio Appt: June 1 - 2nd Meeting with Dietician: July 7 - Dr Glazer: Aug 24 - Surgery: Nov 23, 2015 ? HW: 305, Start of Opti: 295, Surgery Weight: 268, Current Weight: 180

tlj1974
on 11/26/15 9:14 am

Glad the pain is getting better for you.  I am 1 week post op and feeling good aside from a gout attack.  Take it easy sip sip sip, walk walk walk and toot toot toot and rest when you need to.  It's amazing much of the pain you may be experiencing is gas pains.  

On a side note, isn't that hospital beautiful. 

Patm
on 11/26/15 9:30 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

One suggestion someone posted is to measure out a scoop of protein powder and add a bit to everything you consume. Then at least you are getting some protein in your diet

Canadajet
on 11/26/15 10:08 am

I am glad to her everything went well.  Take the time to heal.  Make sure you rest, sip, toot and you will begin to heal.  The first week can be the hardest.  Keep posting as we are all here to provide support

pattidunn
on 11/26/15 10:53 am - Canada

This cray son of ***** is 19 days and counting until my big day! I have only every had abdominal exploratory surgery done, and I do remember the gas pain, but not real internal pain. 

Glad you are home and doing better let us know your progress~!!!

Referral Date: June 9, 2015. Orientation July 17, 2015. First NP meeting October 2, 2015, Dietitian and Social worker meeting October 23, 2015. Pre-op meeting Nov 11, 2015, Tele - conference with Surgeon Dr. Aart Nov 18, 2015, Start Opti December 1, 2015, Surgery December 15, 2015

Live, Love, Laugh it's that simple

B-Trix123
on 11/26/15 11:36 am - Toronto, Canada

$400??? Wow! You made me look ad check what I paid for prescriptions on my way home from hosp. in Aug. $51 for morphine pills and acid reflux prescription. I didn't fill the one for stool softener because you can get it over the counter cheaper (no dispensing fee) and I don't have a drug plan. Even if I add vitamins -- which I bought separately, probably just over $100. I spent 2 nights in hospital on painkillers and you were shown the door after one, but still $400??? Hope you got a truck load of Oxy for that $!! 

Best wishes for a speedy recovery -- 3 months from now you will be passing your old clothes on to someone else.

Pumpkin_Spice
on 11/26/15 1:39 pm - BARRIE, Canada

I got the blood thinner meds, needles, huge bottle of liquid tylenol, milk of magneisia, oxycoden. The needles and blood thinner was the most expensive. 

Humber River Orientation: Oct 2014 - Meet Surgeon Dr. Starr: Mar 23, 2015 - Trio Appt: June 1 - 2nd Meeting with Dietician: July 7 - Dr Glazer: Aug 24 - Surgery: Nov 23, 2015 ? HW: 305, Start of Opti: 295, Surgery Weight: 268, Current Weight: 180

B-Trix123
on 11/26/15 1:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

Ahhh - you required more special meds than e. Still - I hope you got a "gift with purchase"!

Pumpkin_Spice
on 11/26/15 1:43 pm - BARRIE, Canada

Oh yes! I think the gas pain was the worst part of it.  

jaimbeth
on 11/26/15 3:15 pm
On November 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Pacific Time, Pumpkin_Spice wrote:

Oh yes! I think the gas pain was the worst part of it.  

Gas pains are horrid but get well soon.  :)

~Jaime~

Most Active
Recent Topics