Goal weight?

Luckyclover84
on 11/27/15 8:38 pm - Canada

How did you decide on your goal weight? Did a doctor tell you? I am 7 months done and 147 lbs down from highest weight. I have a goal for myself but just curious how people have come up with a goal weight? 

SW: 320, optifast: march 31/15 surgery: april 21/15 TEGH

sfayad
on 11/27/15 8:59 pm - Canada

Wow sounds like you have done so well 

congrats. I'm sure you feel amazing. As for your goal weight it is just that YOUR GOAL WEIGHT. A lot go by the BMI scale and we all know it's not always realistic. 

So your goal weight is the weight you wish you could be at where you look healthy and realistic to you. 

A lot of people set a goal weight of where they would like to be  but not really realistic.  

In your mind you know at what weight you would like to be at and look very healthy.  

Congrat at your great success thus far.  

S fayad

birdiegirl
on 11/28/15 2:58 am

When you do decide on a goal weight - and really the bmi scale is a reasonable indicator for reference.  I would recommend that you try and lose a bit more then goal. 

bounce back is very real.  Nice to have a cushion when weight loss is more difficult and diet fatigue sets in

Good luck

inkedgirl73
on 11/28/15 4:35 am - Canada

Wow! Good for you! I have just started th process...can s surgery and get this weight off

White Dove
on 11/28/15 5:23 am, edited 11/27/15 9:23 pm - Warren, OH

Use the Postop planner in RESOURCES at the top of the page to determine your ideal weight and the amount to expect to lose each month.  My surgeon uses BMI of 24.9 as goal weight.  The very top of normal BMI.  Then he advises us to go 10, 20 or even 30 pounds under that to allow for regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 11/28/15 6:25 am

I believe all of us should shoot for a BMI under 25. As you get closer, you may want to get your bodyfat measured and use that as a guide.

I had my RNY when I was 42. I wanted to weigh what I did in my 20's when I felt healthy and strong. For me, that was 140. At that weight I have a BMI of 22. For me, it was easy to reach this goal and somewhat easy to stay here at 7 years out. For my physical AND mental health, 140 is a good goal for me.

Thankfully we get to decide our own goal weights. I like the saying that our goal weight should be something we can easily maintain while living the life we want to live.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

This G.
on 11/28/15 1:56 pm - Canada

I put my goal weight as between 120 -143. that might seem like a huge difference, so here is my explanation.

A healthy bmi for my height is 120-130.

I have above average muscle mass so I may be heavier but still healthy

our bone mass is denser so we again may be heavier.

So I have given myself a bit of give because i don't want to struggle to get to an almost unreachable, or unhealthy weight. I will know by my body when I am happy, and healthy. My goal is cute and curvy with a side of sensational.

Surgeon: Dr Hagen. Start Opti Aug 18th. Surgery Sept 1st 2015

Luckyclover84
on 11/28/15 2:41 pm - Canada

A lot of replies have mentioned bmi. Everytime I have gone to appointments before surgery I have been told that only 5% of people lose 100% of there excess body weight reaching a healthy bmi. Most people lose 60-85% of there excess weight. I am 8 months out and have lost 86% so very happy. My goal is to have lost 50% of my total body weight which would put me at a bmi of 27. This is still overweight but I feel as though this is a good goal for me. Trying to reach a goal of 24.9 plus an extra 10, 20 or 30lbs as mentioned in 1 reply would be impossible and I think I would look sick. I guess I just have to go with how I feel and look and what my doctors say. Tha ks for everyone's input. 

SW: 320, optifast: march 31/15 surgery: april 21/15 TEGH

Can_Lil_Saint
on 11/30/15 6:45 am - Georgetown, Canada

I had two goals.....

I found an old picture of me when I remember being skinny in my mind.  That was at 191 pounds.  When TWH said I should be at 165 I thought it was impossible!

Well I made it to 191 and at one year surge-versary (tomorrow Dec 1) I am sitting at 167.  Not too shabby and that puts me at 24.9% body fat.

birdiegirl
on 11/30/15 12:37 pm

Shoot for more then you thought possible.   You have this one chance while it's easy. Take advantage of it.  Don't be satisfied to still be overweight.  

Most Active
Recent Topics