When the weight loss stops

Smallermenow
on 2/2/16 7:21 pm

Hi all.

I have a silly question.  I had RNY surgery April 24th, 2015.  I have lost 93 pounds, from 246 to 153.  And believe me, I am not complaining one bit.  I went through my journal today and realized that I have been stuck between 153 and 155 for almost two months.  Even though I am comfortable where I am, I know that my body has more to lose.  So my question is, did any one else have a really long stall and then keep going?  Or is it possible that my body has decided that this is where it wants to be?  I am doing everything right like I have been.  I weigh myself everyday, I write down everything I eat, take all my vitamins, drink my water, I stay under 800 calories, at least 60-80 grams of protein and very low carbs and fat.  I walk and ride a recumbent bike.  Not sure if I am missing anything or doing anything wrong.

Thanks for reading.

Julie

Julie

White Dove
on 2/2/16 9:03 pm - Warren, OH

I lost nothing between month 12 and month 16, then dropped 14 pounds in month 17. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nikki101
on 2/3/16 3:32 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I had my 1 year yesterday. And up until Last week I had a long stall and have had a few along the way. Hope that helps some. 

Karen M.
on 2/3/16 3:55 am - Mississauga, Canada

You're not doing anything wrong at all! You've done incredibly well - congrats to you.

One thing I've learned along the way is just when you think you've stopped losing, you haven't. In fact, I continued to lose weight (albeit very slowly) right into my third year post-op. Don't assume that you're done because of a 2 month bounce-around with a couple of pounds. Stay the course and see where it takes you.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 2/3/16 4:25 am

I feel the same way at 17 months out, it is tough to adjust once the "magic" stops happening. As Karen said there is no way to tell if you are done, just know keep doing what you are doing, in the end all we can do is try.  Good luck and please post about how things are going, it is so helpful to hear others having similar experiences.

annieliv
on 2/3/16 6:47 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Julie,

I'm right there with you!  I had surgery in April 2015 and am on a stall as well.  It's sometimes difficult to keep in the front of my mind just how far I've come and not focus on the number on the scale not moving.

Congrats on your success and let us Keep Calm and Carry On working our tool!

Enjoy your day.

Annie

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

Pamela.S.
on 2/4/16 6:25 am - Canada

I've been going through the same thing.  Surgery Feb 2015 - lost 70 lbs and then stalled, bouncing up and down a few pounds since SETPTEMBER!  I am almost always hungry, even when I'm sleeping I feel hungry.  I was definitely grazing, so have pretty much put a stop to that.  Today I got on the scale and was down 2.4 lbs!  Tomorrow is my 12 month check up and I'm going to talk to them to see what I should be doing.  You aren't eating as much as I was - 1200 - 1500 cal/day, but even MY FITNESS PAL was saying I should be losing weight. 

Stay on course, keep exercising and I'm sure you will get back to losing.  Even though I hadn't lost for a few months, I could tell that my body was still changing by how my clothing is fitting, and even my rings.  Pretty soon I won't have fingers big enough for my wedding and anniversary rings!

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

B-Trix123
on 2/4/16 12:46 pm - Toronto, Canada

At a nutrition class I attended (think it was 3 mos post op) the NUT told us that while MY FITNESS PAL is a great tool, it's minimums are based on people with normal stomachs - so when you go into it, you can customize but it will always tell you you aren't eating enough. I do love their CALORIE COUNTER - best thing to keep me on track.

I had my 6 mos post op meeting with a dietitian at TWH recently and she suggested that I increase my calories to 1,000 per day -- so that's more than you are consuming and you are further along. Best thing I can think of is that you should reach out to the dietitian your Bariatric clinic. 

elisabeth1968
on 2/10/16 1:50 pm - toronto, Canada

Hello Juie my name is Lisa and I also had surgery in April 2015.  What Hospital?

I feel as if I am on a stall too.  Just when I saw that 199 I went up again to 202!!!!

I feel great but hope that this is not it!!

Please let me know what you are doing

Lisa

Smallermenow
on 2/11/16 4:51 pm

Hi Lisa,

My surgery was at Toronto Western Hospital with Dr. Penner. 

Just after I posted this, I started going down again.  I am 150 today.  So happy!!  I think it has been at least 20 years since I have seen that number.  This was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. 

My whole weight loss has been like an elevator, up and down.  Its been slow (about 10 pounds a month) but I think that the stall is when our skin is catching up and inches are coming off. 

I was at 199-201 for 23 days.  Getting to 199 was sooooo exciting and then to lose it the next day was so hard.  Back and forth.  Just have to keep looking forward.  Its all so worth it.

Julie

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics