Sneaky Calories

TaraB3660
on 2/8/16 8:12 pm

I just wanted to write this post because I thought dang I'm just not losing any weight,  and I had my surgery done in August. I mean I have lost a lot I've lost 75 pounds and I'm happy with that, but I kind of plateaued a few times and each time I plateaued I decided to take a new count my calories, let me tell you today I thought I ate hardly anything. But in fact consumed 1300 calories.  I was so flabbergasted. Shock nearly threw me across the room, the sounds to dramatic doesn't it? But it happened in my head. I couldn't believe it how did I consume 1300 cal? Add it all up,  my protein shake my protein bar those three yogurts (eaten throughout the day) I had because it was so hungry today. I had my water but I was starving and I had my nuts and my egg everything  just kept adding up and left me sad and so disappointed in myself.  I tell myself I fell off the weight-loss wagon. Tomorrow's a new day and I have to remember that this time it's different it's not like all those other diets were going  off the wagon it's like a free pass of self sabotage for weeks and months on end, and I really just need to dust myself off and pick myself up and carry-on and focus,  focus on why I did this in the first place and that I have been give it a second chance.  Has anybody else done this?  Feedback is always appreciated. Thank- you 

birdiegirl
on 2/8/16 11:54 pm

Hi Tara

Recording and logging your food every day is really a great habit to get in to.  Then no surprises. 

I think you will find you will be less hungry if you eat denser proteins.  Meat - fish - chicken - pork are the best to fill you up.  I can eat a lot of yogurt - nuts - fruit etc.  They all have a place in your diet but not as the main event.  3-6 oz dense protein usually fills me quickly.

Great that you realize this now.  Calories are important - and maximizing your bang for the caloric buck will assist long term.

Good luck

Seyenna
on 2/9/16 3:02 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

In my very humble opinion - toss the protein bars. As Birdie suggested, eat dense proteins instead. Opt for a few boiled eggs instead and keep them handy. 

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/9/16 6:55 am - Canada

I agree about the bars !!!  I keep one in my purse for emergencies when I'm out and about....but they are NOT the best choice and 3 yogurts in one day is probably 1-2 too many ( I get it though, they are tasty but slide right on through)

You are self monitoring and evaluating.... you suspected a problem, you tracked it, and you fixed it .....and that is AWESOME!!!!  You are doing exactly what you should be.  Everyone has "off " days and "hungry" days, but AWARENESS is key and you've got it!!!  You are soooo right that "tomorrow is another day". 

In the past I had the same old sabotage habit as you.   One bad day turning to two...to a month and eventually you were right back to where you started.  No, that's NOT correct-----10-20 lbs MORE than where you started!!!!    Lets hope we both have learned a few things along the way and can stay on the straight and narrow. LOL    

Try not to get down on yourself, instead give yourself a pat on the back for nipping this thing in the bud, and talking about it  !!!!

Stay Strong---Keep the Focus----You CAN DO THIS !!!!      Have a Great Day. 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Patm
on 2/9/16 7:20 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I know the yogurt has a lot of protein but it does not stay in your pouch long so you are hungry again. Everyone here has given you great suggestions. Good luck on getting back on track.

Most Active
Recent Topics