Advice: surgery timing

Toronto Girl
on 2/9/16 8:16 pm

I meet the surgeon on March 4. 

I have to travel for work (Brazil, possibly China) at the end of May. And then around the US and Berlin June-Sept. It's basically the busiest time of the year for me.

My job is incredibly stressful and I have an intense role, so I'm really planning on taking a week off and then working from home after surgery. If a complication comes up I can take more time but this is my preference if I'm feeling OK. I'm the kind of person who would read email in the hospital.

So...looking for some opinions....would you have surgery end of March (if possible with scheduling with the surgeon) or defer until the fall?

TWH Referral April 1 2015. Orientation July 2015. Social worker Aug 20. Nurse Aug 27. Nutrition Sept 14. Dietitian Nov 18. Psyc Nov 20. Meet surgeon Mar 4. Surgery Oct 21 (deferred because of travel). Dr. Jackson. 
HW 291, SW 276.

Roma
on 2/10/16 5:54 am
RNY on 06/15/15

I traveled to Japan for a vacation 3.5 months post op, with no issues or complications. I felt energized and completely fantastic the whole time,  but meal plans were difficult. I made sure I had my medical records on me the whole time as well as contact info for bariatric surgeons in the country. 

That said it seems like a lot of travel for you so early out. What does the clinic say?

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Toronto Girl
on 2/10/16 9:03 am

I haven't had a chance to talk to them about it yet but I will at the appointment. I was really disappointed I couldn't see the surgeon sooner - I was cleared in early Dec but had to wait 3months for the surgeon appointment. People who were cleared just a week or so before me already had surgery. I called for a cancellation but it's not easy with that appointment to get one and explained but moving up a week was all they could do. If I could have had surgery in Jan/Feb I would have been fine for the "busy season". 

Dealing with meals while traveling is what I'm most worried about. Less in the US vs in other international countries where even something as simple as reading a label will be difficult. 

TWH Referral April 1 2015. Orientation July 2015. Social worker Aug 20. Nurse Aug 27. Nutrition Sept 14. Dietitian Nov 18. Psyc Nov 20. Meet surgeon Mar 4. Surgery Oct 21 (deferred because of travel). Dr. Jackson. 
HW 291, SW 276.

Roma
on 2/10/16 10:25 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Waiting for the surgeon appointment is deadly- you've been patient! 

To be honest, meals were very frustrating when traveling so close to surgery. I didn't know what I could tolerate, so I often went without eating for long stretches (not advisable), or eating something that I was unsure about and praying it didn't get stuck or make me dump (also not advisable ). I also saw lots of things I wanted to try but had to abstain, which was a bit hard as well.

I wound up eating lots of nuts, protein powder, and jerky.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

B-Trix123
on 2/10/16 6:25 pm - Toronto, Canada

I did not feel I was in a position to delay surgery - ticking time bomb w/ cardiac and lung issues. If you are in reasonably good health, delaying may be an option for you.

Don't answer any email while you are on morphine! Years ago I had couriers deliver stuff to me in ICU -- clearly I was in denial about the seriousness of my illness - caused by a diet! 

Had my bariatric surgery on a Wed and was checking email by lunchtime Friday. I was back to work - from my home office on a part time basis 5 days post op. Working from home has huge benefits - no commute and lots of privacy for bathroom constipation ordeal that went on for many many weeks.I had balance issues post op as well. My busy season started 2 months post op and that was no problem.

I would caution against international travel a month out -- check your travel insurance policy with reference to coverage so soon post op. Business travel can be exhausting for the average person and this is major surgery that you are recovering from. Allow yourself time to recover.

Most Active
Recent Topics