My period and Optifast?

volvo24_43
on 2/13/16 5:09 pm, edited 2/13/16 5:19 pm
RNY on 03/02/16

Hi, Im new here my name is Beth.

I am having Surgery March 2, and the doctor wanted me to start optifast 4 weeks before the surgery.

I am now on Day 11 and have lost 15.8 pounds. I take Birth Control for the last year and its been very regular. I just noticed I have my period today and I am not due to get it for about 12 more days!???

Anyone else had this problem before surgery, i hear its common to get ur period all over the place after surgery.

Thanks
Beth

Patm
on 2/13/16 6:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Hormones are stored in our fat. When we lose weight it can effect our hormones and our periods. Make sure you are using more than one birth control method

Chickenboob
on 2/14/16 1:53 pm - Rockland, Canada

You are normal. Be prepared for some awesome hormonal zaniness over the next several months. always be prepared. It can get pretty wild. One month I had 3 periods with maybe 2-4 days between, one lasted 15 days. It took a while to get evened out. I'd also make sure your BC is still suitable for after. Get it sorted out now. I couldn't get any help afterwards getting something. Now I have a daughter, whom I love to the moon and back, but came along far too soon post op. I wasn't at goal. so now I am struggling.

Congrats on the loss, Good luck on your surgery, the day will be here before you know it!

K

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

volvo24_43
on 2/14/16 5:58 pm
RNY on 03/02/16

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am a Lesbian so don't use the pill for that reason lol, I initially went on the pill cause I had my period for 2 years solid (was awful!!!!) So i was quite happy when it started to regulate to once a month and on a specific day etc. So Blah for getting it all the time again, but I have been there and done that so hopefully it will be a quick journey and regulate itself again soon! My Gynecologist wasn't sure if I was to lose weight if it would go back to being regular like it had been in the past before I gained alot and started having issue. Hopefully I can get off the pill once my weight is back down, that's a goal!

Thanks again

Beth

canadianmommyof2
on 2/15/16 2:25 pm
RNY on 03/16/16

I didn't realize your period can fluctuate white losing weight. I haven't had a period for five years now due to birth control. In having my RNY on match 16th and start optifast on March 2nd. Is it likely my period will come back once I start losing weight? 

Thanks for your help. 

volvo24_43
on 2/16/16 9:38 pm
RNY on 03/02/16

From Everything I have read and now currently experience it happens. The hormones in your body go all outta wack when you lose weight fast and this causes your period to come. I think I got mine now cause I am down 20 pounds in 2 weeks on optifast which seems rather quick, and I still have 2 weeks of Optifast to go.

Optifast is NOT my favorite thing, i cannot handle the smell of it, and have to plug my nose, and then swish decaf coffee in my mouth to get it down (its a lot less brutal 2 weeks out) But i am totally looking forward to protein shakes because I like those!

Good luck with your journey canadianmommyof2!

Beth

canadianmommyof2
on 2/17/16 5:37 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Oh no! I hope that I don't get my period!  At least not until after surgery when I have recovered already!  I'm on birth control - can it still come on anytime? 

Good luck with your journey tooVolvo!

HFA70
on 2/18/16 9:30 am

I had my period the day of my surgery.  It was the last or second last day, so nothing really to worry about.  It doesn't affect the surgery, it just adds a little discomfort.  On the plus side, if you want to call it that, I was out of bed pretty quick and often to tend to myself the evening of and the day after surgery.

I hope you skip all this for your surgery.

Good luck

canadianmommyof2
on 2/18/16 11:19 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Thanks,  me too! It'll be so uncomfortable to have my period during surgery. 

Most Active
Recent Topics