Issues with optifast phase

wanttogetgoing
on 4/26/16 10:31 am - St. Catharines

iI met with the dietitian yesterday and we were talking abit about the optifast phase.  I may have problems drinking it because it has aspertaine in it an I avoid that because it gives me a headache.  She is going to talk to the doctor and see if she can get me samples to try.  Has anyone else had a problem with the optifast?

Catw
on 4/26/16 10:59 am - Arnprior, Canada

Each centre has different rules.  One person I know who has aspertaine problems did do a modified Opti.  2 Opti Shakes, and 2 other shakes (that were a specific type, not sure which ones).  He didn't have any problems doing that.

If it's documented that you are allergic to aspertaine or any other ingrediant, they can do an alternate diet.

Cathy

Teena D.
on 4/26/16 11:06 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

WOW- I have no advice but I'm amazed that you are at the opti stage already!!! Lucky you! :)

Good luck- I hope they figure it out for you.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

wanttogetgoing
on 4/26/16 2:31 pm - St. Catharines

No I'm not at that stage we have just been talking about it because I mentioned that Aspertaine bothers me. I don't want my surgery until August because I have a three week vacation in Irland first.  Thanks for replying. 

fasteddy
on 4/26/16 11:22 am

Hi, 

I had a headache for the first day or so, not bad but noticeable. I attributited it to the sudden change in diet. It went away as quickly as it came.

Other than that no issues here.

If I did get them from the aspertaine having a headache for two weeks, I would be looking for an alternative if at all possible. 

wanttogetgoing
on 4/26/16 2:35 pm - St. Catharines

Thanks

lammytee14
on 4/26/16 12:53 pm

I had a sensitivity to aspartame when I would drink diet pop and chew certain gums years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not have an issue with Optifast...and I've been on it a few times (first doing the medical program twice then finally pre-op for three weeks).

It's good to have a plan B but you may be pleasantly surprised that you end up being fine on it.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

wanttogetgoing
on 4/26/16 2:34 pm - St. Catharines

It was 30 years ago for me.  When it first came out.  I have always avoided it since. Thanks for your input. 

elisabeth1968
on 4/26/16 2:00 pm - toronto, Canada

hello my name is Lisa, I had RNY April 04, 2015.  I cannot drink or eat anything with aspartame or any other sugar substitute.  I have severe reactions to all of them and could not go through the OPTI fast part of the program.

After speaking to the dietician and the doctor after several meetings they told me that I could have Boost diabetic.  It worked the same although I don't think that I lost as much as I would have if I was on OPTI fast but it did what it was supposed to do.

Ask them if this will work; every Dr. is different.

Hope this helped.

Lisa

wanttogetgoing
on 4/26/16 2:25 pm - St. Catharines

Thanks, good to know there is other options

Most Active
Recent Topics