No More Advil ?!

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 2:56 pm

I've heard that I won't be able to take Advil post surgery.  I have osteoarthritis.  I have lots of joint swelling and pain in my back and legs mostly.  I take 2 Advil a day or I can barely walk.  Has anyone else found that this pain deminished with weight loss.  I feel like there is a component of genetics on both sides but feel that the weight has caused the earlier onset of the osteo and a torn medial miniscus.  I just wonder how much of the pain will go away after weight loss so I get off the stupid Advil for good.  I have GERD and the Advil is likely doing a number on my digestive system.  I feel like my joints scream out when I get up. It's like I have on a lead jacket. 200lbs to be exact.  

marielewis
on 5/1/16 4:40 pm

I have had no pain from my fibro since I started Opti March 30th and surgery April 13th.  I was almost crippled with pain before.  I believe the lack or sugar and the 25lbs  helped a lot.  I also took a lot Advil.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 7:51 pm

That's so good to hear!  I'm happy for you, Marie.  Take care.

Leslie W.
on 5/1/16 6:10 pm - Cobourg, Canada

No more Advil or NSAIDS too high a risk for ulcers. Weightloss should definitely help with pain that is due to the extra weight. Speak with your md re other options. Just taking 2 a day there should be other options for you

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/16 7:54 pm

I will check with md. Advil just works so well especially with the swelling. Can't wait to be rid of the pain. Thanks Leslie.

Teena D.
on 5/2/16 3:03 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I hope that the surgery takes the pain away. Advil is very hard on the lining of your stomach as I'm sure you are aware. My dad was on prescription painkillers for years as he broke his legs about 30 years ago and has arthritis. About 4 years ago he gave up all wheat in his diet and has been able to go without painkillers. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/16 4:57 am

You know that's interesting because I have of course like everyone else, tried all kinds of diets over the years.  When I was off carbs I was fine.  When I have a super carb filled day I suffer tremendously.  It appears to cause the swelling in general; around the joints and a super blotted stomach.  I don't think I'll miss that awful feeling. 

I want off the Advil so bad and every once in a while, like yesterday when I'm home, I try to stay away from it and then I pay.  The swelling in my knees, hip pain and back pain.  I only started having this problem 3 years ago when I went from 300 to 330 and now 365 is almost crippling me.  My stomach usually goes down first and when it does it seems to decrease the pain in my back. The weight of my stomach and gravity mean that I can only stand and walk for short periods of time. 

Your post helps to confirm that I've got to be more aware of what I'm putting in my stomach for the rest of my life, Ms. Daizymom.  You know I don't like to dwell on the past but...I can't believe this is me writing all this.  I've never said this stuff out loud.  I often only see myself 20 years ago as a cyclist fit and strong and then when I write this I think, "how did this happen". 

Have a great day :)

Teena D.
on 5/2/16 4:53 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Good luck! I hope it works for you!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Catw
on 5/2/16 7:52 am - Arnprior, Canada

I don't know for sure in your case, but weight lost seems to help a lot of people with joint pain.  Not as much stress on them.  If you are having problems, there are other alternatives that you can try.  Talking to your MD will help you identify some.  I'm guessing that you've already tried Tylenol Arthritis.

I've been told by some Drs. that Advil once in a blue moon is OK, but when I mentioned it to my nurse at the clinic, she didn't agree at all.  I was put on Tramadol when needed, and she had no problem with that.  I get headaches that can be so bad that Tylonal Extra Strength doesn't do anything for them.  But you also have to watch side effects of prescriptions too.

Cathy

HKT53
on 5/2/16 8:11 am - Toronto, Canada

I was like you...could barely walk and 2 advil a day. I had knee surgery and foot reconstruction and I have deep vein Thrombosis. I had RNY last July and I have never had an Advil since. I had to on two or three occasions take tylenol for pain (no nsaids) but that was after a very stressful active day. The main reason why I had RNY in July was because of GERD. So bad I could not eat any food only liquids for two years. I know what you are dealing with and I believe you will do fine without the Advil. Imagine, pain subsiding because of weight loss and easier to get around and GERD gone baby gone. It is so amazing. A big benefit after surgery is lots of water and protein shakes to help prevent muscle breakdown and hydrate. The healthier the muscle the less stress you put on the joints and let the muscle take over for movement.

BTW, I love your little avitar but stop worrying about the "What Ifs" and how you have been coping to now. Your life is changing. It doesnt happen to everybody but the RNY seemed to make be lactose intolerant. I doing great without milk. If you knew me, you would know what a huge change that is for my life.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics