loosing weight preop

breuxo
on 5/24/16 10:36 am

I'm struggling badly I meet sw(for second time) and nut in mid July, I've lost 4 pounds so far that's it and that was two weeks ago. I'm scared I'll be denied because I'm not loosing enough preop. but then I remember this is part of why I need surgery. loosing weight is hard clearly. how much did you loose preop? I start 253 and I'm at 249.. 

Ginnny
on 5/24/16 11:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I lost about 20 lbs from my referral until I started Opti. 

Weight loss isn't a requirement. Just make sure you don't gain weight! 

Leslie W.
on 5/24/16 11:14 am - Cobourg, Canada

Unless they tell you differentlywt loss is not a requireemet. They are looking to see if you are making some positive changes and can stick with it. Such as cutting outt pop aand junk food. Can you cut baack on caffeine? Ae you exercising? It is not can you lose 20 lbs it is eating healthy. Try cutting out drinking with meals. Keep a food diary. Bring a 1 wk food diary with you

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
breuxo
on 5/24/16 11:22 am

I have been making a lot of changes, I never drank coffee or tea or any caffeine besides 1 can of pop a day I have since given that up. I don't eat chips anymore or chocolate something I did a lot. I have to do a 6 day food diary to bring with me for the NUT. I guess I'm more or less sad that I'm doing a lot more like cooking all meals at home and no junk and no weight is coming off. 

lizz122964
on 5/24/16 12:33 pm

try not to beat yourself up. maybe if you write down all the things that you have been working on you will see how much of a positive change you've made. Keep up the good work. 

Leslie W.
on 5/25/16 5:28 am - Cobourg, Canada

Sounds like you are right on track which will help post op. Are bodies are strange for sure. Post op your pouch will be very small so the healthy eating habits you are developing now will ensure the pounds come off post. I'm sure you are feeling very stressed. Take a deep breath and try not to be too hard on yourself

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nikitabanana
on 5/24/16 2:43 pm
RNY on 05/25/16

Try not to stress about it. Sadly, I gained almost 15 pounds from referral to when I started Opti. I did make some significant changes that weren't easy but I stuck to them and it got easier as time went on - cut out all pop and caffeine, no fast food at all for 4 months, pre-planning meals and cooking at home, practice mindful eating, no distractions while eating (no eating in front of the TV) etc. Since being on Opti for the past 2 weeks I've lost that 15 pounds but no one at any point said anything about the gain. Just read your material and be prepared to explain the changes you've made and you'll do fine. This is a learning experience for all of us! I have my surgery tomorrow - yours will be here before you know it - good luck!!

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

breuxo
on 5/25/16 8:49 am

thank you guessing I was just stressing out because I'm making so many changes and nothing was happening but then I guess I wouldn't need surgery if it was that easy for me. I will keep making my changes and reading my material/doing homework trying to be prepared just don't want to drag the process even further out for myself.

LeslieT3440
on 5/24/16 3:48 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Like most are saying I honestly don't think you will be ask to lose WT. I have actually packed on 18 lbs since referral due to the fact I needed to quit smoking (OMG which I have been doing longer than I remember not) it has been very challenging making the other changes at the same time. I have always enjoyed 1 glass of wine per night and up to 3 glasses on Saturday and I also had to let that habit go. LOL i'm impressed I only gain 18 lol.  Again like others are saying they just want to see that you are committed to a life time of changes and to be focused on a healthier life style. The surgery will be the tool to aide with portion control while you continue to make the better choices.

I had to meet the NUT x2 because she didn't feel with everything I had to change ei quitting my wine & smoking had me totally on track with the nutrition part (which I agreed cuz I genuinely struggled :-)). 

Best of luck

breuxo
on 5/25/16 8:51 am

yes I've heard quitting smoking makes people gain weight, I don't drink or smoke currently my last drink was March 18 for my friends bday. so no issues for me there thank god because I know how hard it is to quit smoking, my bf can't knock the habit. thank you im trying to do everything they ask of me though some days I struggle I imagine it will always be that way. I'm so excited to get my new lease on life!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics