One week down, one to go

IamBettyCooper
on 6/30/16 5:11 pm

I  have to say, the Opti is not great.  First day felt fine.  Second day, hungry. Third day, I would have  murdered someone for a piece of cheese.  Cravings have subsided.  Sugar free freezies and Dentyne sugar free cinnamon gum are saving me.  Oh, and Vitamin Water Zero!

I'm having surgery July 8 and TWH ... anybody else?  Hoping for a surgery buddy :-)

Started to pull together my hospital bag ... PJs, robe, slippers, undies, lip balm, hand lotion, face wipes, tablet to watch Netflix on, book, notebook and pen, hairbrush, toothbrush & toothpaste ... am I missing anything?

Stef22
on 6/30/16 6:23 pm

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I hope you find a buddy    I have my OTN appointment next week so hopefully I will find out about surgery then. 

sneezy6145
on 6/30/16 6:48 pm

I'm having mine on the 13th at HRRH. I just started week #2 on the opti. Some days are better than other days. One day I was so hungry, I actually looked forward to my shake, lol. Luckily we're allowed to veggies at Humber. They have made it so I can do this. Just chewing makes me feel better. I went to my pre-op appointment yesterday and since starting the opti, I am down 13 pounds. I was shocked. So, it's doing it's job. Hope your next week goes quickly!! 

IamBettyCooper
on 6/30/16 8:46 pm

I wish we could have veggies ... I miss chewing.  That's where the gum comes in!

I am down 11 lbs after 7 days so far so yes, it does work.  I actually gained a pound today and freaked out

but then it all made sense later today ... that time of the month and I bloat like crazy.

Monica9811
on 7/1/16 4:25 am - Peterborough, Canada

Bring your own pillow!  Theirs suck. Good luck. 

Meggles07
on 7/1/16 6:39 am - Canada

I would also recommend ear plugs and a sleeping mask. It can be noisy and you need your sleep to recover :) 

My roommate had a knee replacement and was in a lot of pain. The nurses came in every hour to check on her, and kept the lights on. I was glad to have my ear plugs.

wiccandove
on 7/1/16 7:09 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

You probably won't use your pj's honestly. I was at TWH and had so many things hooked up to me I just wore the hospital gown the whole time. Plus the meds make you really sleepy, I don't think I could have stayed awake to watch a whole movie if I tried! I also had a private room - I didn't request one so I don't know if thats standard for RNY patients at TWH or if I just got lucky. Bring your own pillow - I wish I had!

IamBettyCooper
on 7/4/16 4:43 pm

As hard as the Opti has been, it is doing its job.  20lbs down.  Still a little hungry but not as bad.

Thanks for the hospital packing tips ... definitely will bring my own pillows.  Busily trying to get my house in order so that I am ready to recuperate and to have visitors post surgery ... tonight is laundry night :-)

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/16 4:48 pm

Good luck Betty!!  Hope all goes well.  Please keep us updated.  I am also going thru TWH, but don't have surgery date yet.  Just had my group nutrition class this week, psych and surgeons appt at end of the month and NUT appt next month.  Hopefully won't be too much longer after that.  

Most Active
Recent Topics