Feel like I'm failing....

sneezy6145
on 7/25/16 7:42 am

This Wednesday will be 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm still struggling to eat. I know I'm not getting the recommended amount of protein in.  I just dont understand how I can do this. With as slow as we have to eat and the 3 meals a day and snacks and the amount of water they want you to have, I feel like I would be putting something into my mouth, every waking moment. I'd for sure be sick.

On a happy note, I'm can get up or sneeze, or laugh without the midsection pain. Healing is happening. 

Monica9811
on 7/25/16 8:10 am - Peterborough, Canada

Trust me in the beginning it is impossible to get it all in.  Just worry about getting protein in as much as possible and make sure that you are getting at least one or two high protein shakes in to help your numbers.  Make sure you are drinking water and taking vitamins.  It does get easier over time!!  I think after 2 weeks you are on pureed if I am not mistaken (its been 3.5 years for me) but I know I had a premier protein shake in the morning and then I would have a yogurt for a snack and then chili for lunch and some type of protein for my next snack and then more chili or cottage cheese or something for dinner.  Follow the what are you eating doing thread to get ideas of what people eat!  Good luck.

White Dove
on 7/25/16 9:11 am, edited 7/25/16 2:12 am - Warren, OH

Two or three shakes a day with 30 grams of protein would meet your requirements - for life.

It was about six months before I could get all of my protein from food and I did not give up the shakes until year three.

By three months out I could eat a steak or fish and got a lot of my protein from food.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Catw
on 7/25/16 10:47 am - Arnprior, Canada

You are not failing this, it takes a while to figure out how to get everything in.  As long as you are working towards getting more protein in every day, and eating it first.  Then you're fine.  With small tummies, its' hard to get it all in.  This is where planning helps, and looking for high protein in small quantities.  Things like the shakes help too.  Also try different temperatures of food.  Some things you can eat fine cold, others warm it up a bit and it'll go down easier.  I don't remember when I first got all my protein in (that was 5 years ago, my memory isn't that good).  But when you are eating other things, you can add some protein powder to it, to boost the protein levels in what you are eating.  For some things, you may want to get unflavoured (i.e. not chocolate or vanilla) powder to add into it.

As with healing, this takes time.  Also, participate in the "What are you eating" thread, you may find it helpful.

Cathy

wiccandove
on 7/25/16 11:21 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Its really hard, but you're NOT failing! I found the whey isolate splash from GNC really helps me get in my protein and water. I find it a bit sweet but you can cut it with water and/or add ice. I find it more refreshing in this hot weather then trying to drink a protein shake.

In the pureed stage wendys chili is a lifesaver. Add 1 tablespoon of unflavored protein powder to 1/4 cup (or 1/3 cup if you can eat that much).

This is my 7th week out from surgery and I don't always get all my protein. The hot weather makes it worse for me because I don't really have the desire to eat much, but I am thirsty all the time so I just keep sipping that protein water.

At only 2 weeks try not to stress too much, it gets easier every week :)

Spenceymommy
on 7/25/16 12:23 pm

I didn't do a single protien shake pre op or post op. I am about 10 weeks post now, and I found getting really high protien foods helped.  Skyr yogurt from pc has 21g of protien per 3/4 of a cup. So break it down to 1/2 cup servings and eat 4-5 a day which sounds like a lot but isn't and you have your protien! 

IamBettyCooper
on 7/27/16 10:03 pm

I just discovered the Skyr yogurt from President's Choice and I am a convert!  It has a great texture, more like pudding and not slimy like other yogurts (can you tell I am not a fan?!).   The power berries flavoured one has 18g of protein for 3/4 of a cup and 140 calories.  I start by having 2 glasses of water when I wake up.  Then I wait for about 45 minutes and have the yogurt.  A couple of hours later, a Premier protein shake. That gets you up to 48g of protein by lunchtime.  Like WiccanDove, I too love the whey splash ... I use a half scoop in 2-3 cups of water which gives me 12g of protein for 60 calories.  The other discovery I made is that you can puree cottage cheese into anything and a 1/2 cup has 15g of protein ... I use it in tomato soup, in eggs, and I made some cauliflower mash yesterday with it and a little chicken broth and it was delish.

It is very hard in this heat and it really is a new way of eating.  A friend who had the surgery gave me a good pointer.  She set the timer on her phone to go off every 10 minutes to remind herself to sip her water and could usually finish 2-3 glasses in 2 hours that way.  Staying hydrated is really important in the heat and for flushing the fat and keeping your bowels moving smoothly.

If you're really struggling, maybe see if you can arrange a call with the nutritionist?  She might be able to give you some pointers.

Wishing you all the best and remember, each day is a fresh start and a blank slate.  We believe in you!

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Spenceymommy
on 7/28/16 8:21 am

Check the sugar content in the flavoured ones like 19g of sugar! 

GentleDomenic
on 7/25/16 1:24 pm - Canada

Every step along the way will always have challenges. You have come this far , it will get better and you will be fine. Next month  something new will come up and you will get that done too 

I remember it used to take me 2 hours to drink a bottle of water

Keep your eye on the prize and that's you !!

lizz122964
on 7/25/16 1:40 pm

I'm 7 weeks post op today. I'm new at this too but it has gotten easier as each week goes by. Try not to be in a rush just take it one day at a time. Make sure your logging all your food and drink. Everything will work out just try to have patience. 

Most Active
Recent Topics