Surgery on Ontario

WantMyHealth
on 8/30/16 7:14 am

Hello, new member here looking for information.

I am finding it difficult to get good info online due to all the advertising plugging up searches.  What are the real world wait times in Ontario?  I've read I need a BMI over 40 to be approved by OHIP.   Is it possible to get approved @ 37-38 without any other health problems?   I do not even have a family doctor to speak with, and have been on waiting lists for years.

The other option is travelling to Mexico.   I have concerns about going to Mexico, but at least it would be done quickly.  Also finding it very difficult to get reliable information on doctor's there, again everything is about advertising!! 

Words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Ginnny
on 8/30/16 8:33 am, edited 8/30/16 4:37 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi there,

With a BMI between 35 - 40 you need to have at least two co-morbidities.  My BMI at referral time was 38.9 with basically high BP and fatty liver.  They warned me that I might not be a candidate but let me go through the process, and luckily I had surgery in April this year.  My referral was June 2015 so took me about 10 months to get through the program.

You can go to a walk in clinic and get that doctor there to make the referral, you don't need a family doctor, but of course its always helpful to have one.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Patm
on 8/30/16 11:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Ginny gave you good advice. I would just like to add that having it in Ontario comes with a lot of benefits. The centres follow you for 5 years and supply a ton of support. You would find it hard to get back-up in Canada if you have it in Mexico.

Take the time to make some lifestyle changes and become educated on what life after surgery will be like.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/30/16 2:57 pm - Windsor, Canada

Just as an update they are beginning to shorten up the aftercare at many centres to a one year model then family doctors take over.  Both Windsor and Guelph are heading that way

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Patm
on 8/31/16 6:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think that would be a big mistake. My GP really does not know as much as the TWH centre does. I have also been able to use the psychologist when I was in trouble. I would miss that support

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/16 8:03 am, edited 8/31/16 6:03 am

It is unfortunate and concerning for sure. From what I understand this change is a result of changes in OHIP coverage. I am having surgery in Ottawa on September 14 and it has really given me pause. Twelve months is a short time given the possibility of complications and the need for other possible support. I've talked to the WMC here and to my surgeon and it is not what any of them want, they tried to get it extended. However, it seems to be the case. I am not feeling afraid of the surgery itself, or the healing and learning to eat differently and lifestyle changes, but no follow up care after 12 months has me anxious and a bit afraid.

Leslie W.
on 8/30/16 12:38 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You can get a referral done at a walk in clinic or a nurse practitioner. First would be to get in and get blood work done.

I would be concerned with travelling to Mexico. While you won't have to wait what about the preparation for a life change surgery? You need to be both mentally and physically prepared before. What about follow up. The Bariatric centre follows you for 5 years. That being said many issues I am having now at almost 5 years requires my GP to follow up.

For me it was 18 months from referral to surgery.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
WantMyHealth
on 8/31/16 5:22 am

Thank you everyone for the advice.  My big concern is if they will approve me being under BMI40.  I don't seem to have any other major health concerns so far.  Also find clinics are not very helpful and do the minimum to get you back out the door.  I can't see them taking the time to help.

Spenceymommy
on 9/4/16 7:01 pm

Depending on where you are and where your health status is depends on the wait times.  I went through Sudbury where the avg wait time is 1 yr. however I made it through from referral to on the or table In 7months. My gf same clinic too her 18 months...

if u let us know where u are we can give better estimates

Most Active
Recent Topics