4 month post op RNY - the good, the bad and the ugly

Nikitabanana
on 9/28/16 4:00 pm
RNY on 05/25/16

I made the very difficult but life saving decision to undergo WLS and I am now 4 months post op and feeling pretty "normal" now :) For those who pre-op (and post-op) perhaps you will some of this interesting. I had RNY surgery by Dr. Klein at HRRH on May 26, 2016. Surgery was surprisingly easier than I expected. I did feel lost when I got home but apparently that's pretty normal. Just read your material and listen to your body (and health care team). I couldn't (and still can't) get in all of what they suggest for food but I do my *******so use PatchMD vitamins and I'm thankful that my numbers according to my bloodwork are perfect!

The Good

I've lost weight and I'm smaller, lol. I've lost 76 pounds since starting opti (started Opti at 280lbs and weighed 204lbs as of this morning - I'm 5'2"). I've gone from a size 22/24 to a 14/16. I didn't have any co-morbidity's but have noted a drop in my blood pressure and resting heart rate as well as having a lot more energy, sleep more comfortably, don't snore, everything is easier (driving, sitting, standing, walking, washing myself in the shower, taking stairs, exercise, etc). Lots of compliments from co-workers and friends. I look better (a lot less puffy and swollen looking) and clothes look better on me. I can tolerate everything I've tried to eat and drink although my menu only consists of meat, cheese, veggies, fruit (limited amount) and I only drink water. I don't drink any protein shakes (they make me ill). I also sometimes have some crackers (melba or triscuit). I have not tried (nor do I intend to anytime soon) bread, pasta, rice, or any sugary junk foods like chocolate or anything like that. I actually like seeing pictures of myself!!   

The Bad

My hair is falling out despite my best efforts. I notice it but I don't really think anyone else does - maybe my hubby since I point it out all the time.  The weird thing I'm struggling with right now is not recognizing myself - my hands don't look like mine (they're bony!) and same with my face/neck/shoulders - all way too small! I'm fascinated with feeling my bones - I have collarbones! I do a double take when I see my reflection in the glass or see the silhouette of my shadow because it's not how I picture myself. I'm working through my body image concerns though. 

The Ugly

My skin is sagging especially my upper arms, tummy, thighs. I knew this would happen but it still sucks. It makes awkward slapping sounds if I don't move carefully, especially when turning over in bed. I will need skin surgery in the next few years - small price to pay for abusing my body for so long. 

That's all I can think of for now. Basically I've already become pretty accustomed to this new lifestyle - I often "forget" I've had surgery. I still feel the restriction of course which I'm thankful for and my relationship with food has changed - food no longer has power over me - I've got this!!

Good luck to everyone else on their journey - this will be the best thing you ever do!

Hugs, Nikki.

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Alexsks
on 9/28/16 4:59 pm
RNY on 10/17/16

Thanks Nikki for sharing your experience with us. I am having surgery on October 17 and your message was realistic and positive.

:) you gots this

Akatiti
on 9/28/16 6:24 pm - Canada

Thank you for sharing your experience.

it's very helpful. I'm having surgery on October 14

can you share your hospital experience?

leeann73
on 9/29/16 11:03 am

amazing!  thanks for sharing.

Kathy1212
on 10/6/16 9:18 am

Thanks for sharing!