Vast differences in wait times?

Still Waiting
on 10/26/16 4:30 pm

So I have to ask why it is that some people are going through the process so quickly?  Just a bit of background: I live in Northern Ontario.  I decided to go for referral back in April of 2016.  The first delay was due to the fact that my doctor forgot to send the referral.  At the end of May, it finally got sent.  So I called up Sudbury at that point - because that is where my orientation would be - to confirm they had received  the referral.  They had, and said to call back if I hadn't heard from them in six weeks.  I asked if there was anything I should be doing in the meantime and they said no.  At this time I took it upon myself to quit smoking because they said eventually they'd ask me to stop before surgery.  Fast forward six weeks later and I haven't heard from them.  I call back and they tell me I have to have quit smoking 6 Months Before entering the program.  grrrrr.  Anyway, 6 Months later they book me an appointment for orientation - that was October 14th.  I haven't heard from them since but they said the next appointments wouldn't be until after December.  There were people in my orientation who hadn't had to wait so long.  I've completed all tests and been accomplishing tasks before they even asked me. I've made myself available.  Then I see so many people getting appointments so much quicker.  I just dont understand.

skinny_gigi
on 10/26/16 5:20 pm

Can i ask where you had your orientation? usually you get the following appointments at the orientation so it seems like something might be a miss there...but other than that i think the scheduling very much varies.  it just depends on what slots are available if there are cancellations and also how many follow ups you may need.  i would suggest just calling them again as asking if you could book the next 3 appointments.  good luck

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Still Waiting
on 10/26/16 5:24 pm

I had my orientation in Sudbury.  I think I will call them.  I understand this is a process but it would be nice to have an idea.

Faye P.
on 10/27/16 5:48 am - North Bay, Canada
RNY on 11/02/16

I'd give them a call.  I was referred January this year by my doctor.  Here's the summary of my dates.  Surgery next week :)

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Referral: Jan 2016 Orientation: Apr 2016 Nurse/Nutritionist/Physio/Social Worker: Jun 2016 Meet Surgeon Telehealth: Aug 25/16  Meet Surgeon Toronto:  Oct 5/16  Surgery Date: Nov 2/16

Leslie W.
on 10/27/16 6:21 am - Cobourg, Canada

I can understand your   frustration but it has not been 2 weeks since your orientation.  All sites require 6 months free of smoking before getting to orientation or getting any appointments. Seen people get to orientation only to be stalled till 6 month free.   Hang in there. Now that you have sarted with orientation it should go quicker. Start food journaling, keep track of positive changes etc.. then you will be ready

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
northernga1
on 10/27/16 7:57 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

I went threw Sudbury too, make sure you call them often enough so your file doesnt get lost in the shuffle. They are very bad at losing files, or saying they called and left messages and then they didnt.  A friend almost missed her 1on1 appointmens because they sad they called her and she didnt get a call.  She called to find out what the hold up was and the appointments were scheduled for a week later.  In my local support group someone had the same thing happen and when they called the were told they had someone call them .. their appointments were for the next day and they couldnt make it so rescheduled now for 5 months later.........   please call often check up on where things are.  Lots of people go faster because they call often and get their appointments seperately (not all in 1 day) or they call and ask for cancellations etc..  From referral to surgery it took me almost 17 months it went faster then i thought it would.  To be honest had it went any faster I do not think my brain / mind would have been ready for all the changes.  I took the long wait time to change my habits etc... so i was more prepared.

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics