Dog lovers!

skinny_gigi
on 12/7/16 5:03 pm

So I noticed that there are a lot of fur moms here, so here's a question to all dog owners...

I'm thinking of getting a puppy around the time of my surgery.  I've been wanting to get on for a while and I think it would be great walking with the dog post surgery, etc.  

My question is after surgery do you think I'll be able to handle it?  I know everyone is different, but for all the veterans do you think it's possible?  I'm curious to know!

Thanks!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Patm
on 12/7/16 5:11 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Puppies are a lot of work. Give yourself a chance to heal. When you think you are ready for the walks then get a dog. I have a an amazing rescue mutt.

http://www.moosoneepuppyrescue.com/adoptable-dogs/

Most cities have animal shelters looking for owners

sweetart
on 12/7/16 5:31 pm - Windsor, ON
RNY on 12/20/16

I'm gifted with the best dogs ever. That said, they were never easy as puppies. I wouldn't dare get one right around surgery time. They need to be socialized, exercised, trained etc. It's also not recommended to over exercise a young dog. 

I waited nearly two years for each of my dogs (7 years for my curly... the black one). 

Maybe choose a breed, do some research and find a breeder who fits you. Sometimes they will have an older dog just out of the puppy stage that might work with your lifestyle. 

If you prefer a rescue, go that route. If you prefer a breeder, pick a great reputable breeder who stands by their puppies for life and isn't just mass producing dogs. 

Have fun with it... but take your time. God willing, this will be a member of your family for 15 years!

Melissa in Windsor, Ontario

Referral 1/15/2016 - Surgery TEGH (Michael Garron) December 20, 2016 w/ Dr. Aarts

5'2" - - - > HW 282, Optifast 220, SW 213, CW 156 (but I'm on it!)

IamBettyCooper
on 12/7/16 8:11 pm

Definitely wait at least 3 months post op.  The stooping and scooping alone would have been too much for me post surgery.  And puppies are sooooo much work.   You basically have to baby proof your house.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Kathy1212
on 12/7/16 10:43 pm

Dogs are great and puppies are adorable, but they are little furry babies with sharp teeth, wanting to chew everything, play with everything, jump on everything.  They are amazing and even though they are a lot of work, they are sooooo worth it.  That said, if it were me, I'd wait until I was healed from surgery and given the clearance to do regular exercise before getting a pup.

I've only ever had poodles because I have severe asthma and allergies, but poodles are great and very smart, and all of mine were house trained so quickly they were never any trouble that way. But they were all high energy dogs, needing lots of exercise, affection, and mental stimulation.

All of mine were small except for one, my standard, Mac, and while I loved Mac so much, he was the most difficult for me to walk because he was so strong and stubborn and never really learned not to pull me around until he was older. I found the little ones were much easier to handle because I could just pick them up and carry them if needed. 

Let us know what kind of dog you decide on! 

Insert Fitness
on 12/8/16 5:28 am

I wouldn't recommend it. With all the lifestyle changes you're  planning, bringing a puppy or even a dog into the mix that early, is asking for additional challenges you don't need. Id suggest reaching out to a local shelter or recue as a volunteer dog walker for a few months if you are looking for a walking buddy!

Otherwise I think all your extra energy needs to go into being successful post op! 

Good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Dundreggen
on 12/8/16 5:52 am - Canada

To me the answer would be 'it depends'  I would totally do it.  But then again I do dog training, have been a breeder, have been on the board of directors for my breed club etc etc.  (very doggy lol)

If it is an adult and small, I don't see a huge issue if you have other family members to help.  I had no problem bending over and picking up my phone when it fell whilst still in the hospital.  But your mileage may vary.

I wouldn't get a puppy or a large dog unless you are very dog experienced and have experienced family help.

My suggestion would be (along with one of the above posters) to do some research into what you might want in a dog.  Pick a breed, look into a good breeder, breed rescue or see if any shelters around have what you are looking for.  If you go with a good breeder chances are you will have to wait months for a puppy.  (if a breeder always has pups available run the other way!)

Take this time to find a good training program near you (if you need suggestions PM me) 

And gratuitous pics of my two: My chinese crested Schen - https://flic.kr/p/HqwyiE (if anyone loves puppies and ponies feel free to browse my flickr)  The mostest fabulous dog to have ever dogged in the history of dogs Dekka! : https://flic.kr/p/abBSV2

Oh and if anyone ever wants to talk dogs feel free to PM me :D :D

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Toronto Girl
on 12/8/16 8:01 am

I'm with Dundreggen. I have a dog and train and do agility and am also very "doggy" (love that)!

"I wouldn't get a puppy or a large dog unless you are very dog experienced and have experienced family help."

TWH Referral April 1 2015. Orientation July 2015. Social worker Aug 20. Nurse Aug 27. Nutrition Sept 14. Dietitian Nov 18. Psyc Nov 20. Meet surgeon Mar 4. Surgery Oct 21 (deferred because of travel). Dr. Jackson. 
HW 291, SW 276.

Meggles07
on 12/8/16 5:55 am - Canada

I actually bought my first puppy a week before my surgery. I absolutely fell in love with her when I saw her, and she was totally an impulse buy. We had been looking at dogs for a long time, but we hadn't don't any actual preparation like getting supplies and puppy proofing the house. We bought her at night, got a crate, food, a blanket, bone and stuffed lamb. I was not prepared. But I love her and would buy her again in a heartbeat. 

The pros: she helped bring my stress down. The night I got her was the last night I could eat food before starting opti. I had bought chocolates to eat that night and I never got around to eating them because I was so distracted by the puppy. My mom stayed with me during my initial post-op phase and she helped a lot with the puppy. Because the puppy was only four pounds I was okay with lifting her. I also would get down to clean up messes. I always say that having her was a huge part in my success because I was always chasing her around, taking her out, walking her, etc. However, when I got tired I had my mom who could watch her for a bit so I could have a nap. 

Cons: after surgery my exuberant little puppy jumped on my tummy and opened one of my incisions which then got infected. It was minor and treated with a short course of antibiotics. Puppies are exhausting and surgery is exhausting. 

Also, my mom was with me at the hospital and my BF was working... This meant I had to find someone to look after the puppy for the 2-3 days I was in the hospital.

We just bought our second puppy a month ago and I now wonder how exactly I survived puppyhood and surgery at the same time. I guess my point is that it is possible, but if you are preplanning and have the option, it would probably have been better if I had waited until after surgery. But I love her too much, so I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/8/16 3:52 pm
I'm a fur dad. I love adopting senor dogs. A lot of time they are fully trained, and from my experience they make the best pets.

I'd avoid getting a puppy for months after surgery. They are a lot of work!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics