five years

Patm
on 1/24/17 7:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Wow it has been 5 years. I have gone from being morbidly obese and very unhealthy to a better way of life. I was diabetic and had high blood pressure. I took the top amount of lipitor but am now on the lowest amount.

I was 60 years old having this surgery. In the last five years I have done things I would never of tried. I biked in the MS ride at 9 months out. I was regularly biking home 9 kms from work (hope to get back to that this spring.) I zip lined from the top of Blue Mountain. Pre WLS I could barely walk a block but now walk everywhere. I swim lengths and enjoy being able to do this. I snowshoed in Blue Mountain last winter.

Since I was so obese for so long I have permanent damage to my back/hips/knees. I wish I had know about the surgery earlier.

WLS is a way of life. It has to be a change from your old life and you have to be will to make the long term changes that are needed. I have found this year to be the most challenging. I have let some bad habits sneak in and they are reflected on the scale. I am trying to get back on track. One of the things that has helped me is posting in the daily what are you eating thread. I think I also find it a little scary that the TWH team will no longer be there for regular check-ins. they helped keep me accountable.

I wish all of the new people here success and hope that you will be here five years from now posting how well you are doing.

Monica9811
on 1/24/17 8:43 am - Peterborough, Canada

Awesome Pat!  I was just thinking about my 4 year post that I will be doing the end of February. I think staying connected on the OH website is key and keeps you grounded.  I don't post my eats but I read that thread religiously!

Keep up the awesome work.

Mon

Patm
on 1/24/17 8:43 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks Monica,

I hope life is becoming better for you.

Monica9811
on 1/24/17 8:49 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks Pat!  It is.  I am now with someone who makes me happy and treats me like a queen!  Our only challenge is he is thin and wants to gain weight and gets upset when he gets on the scale and loses a couple of pounds-I'll take the loss lol.  He also loves his chocolate bars and cookies.  Thankfully I can resist 99% of the time and the odd time I will just have a bite. I have had a piece of fudge in my fridge since before Xmas and when I get the craving I take a small bite.  He can't believe it has lasted this long.  My friend always gives me fudge at xmas and I keep one piece and share the rest.  I gave him hell for popping it in his mouth and not even savouring it.  He doesn't dare touch my piece now!

M

kellybelly333
on 1/25/17 7:41 am - Toronto, Canada

Oh Monica! I'm sorry to hear about you and Wayne, but happy you have a new love. Sounds like a fun fella!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

SweetPeaVeronica
on 1/24/17 8:57 am

Great job Pat! Thanks for coming back and reminding us newbies that this is a great start to our journey and even thou we can not see it just yet the best is yet to come. 

Referred February 6, 2016 ~ Orientation May 3, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt September 1, 2016 ~ Internist (Dr. Glazer) Apt September 27, 2016 ~ Nut/Diet/Social Apt December 13, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt January 11, 2017 ~ Start of Opti January 18, 2017 ~ Surgery Date February 8, 2017 @ HRRH Lost 137.4 to date

birdiegirl
on 1/24/17 11:28 am

You could be a poster girl for the benefits of WLS.   Congrats Pat and Thankyou so much for sticking around. 

Agree wholeheartedly re the menu thread.  I've been a bit absent lately, just a lot going on but I will be back regularly soon.

Take care

Patm
on 1/24/17 1:08 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks. If it wasn't for people like you and some others I probably would have given up the site but I do enjoy the waye thread

Insert Fitness
on 1/24/17 11:54 am

Thanks so much for sharing this! Im so happy to hear that you are so active and open to new experiences, making the most of this post op life!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

roxytrim
on 1/24/17 12:46 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

5 years...huge deal.  Keep on this site to kerp us on track & we will all do the same for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics