Dr frustration

Cwood
on 2/26/17 3:04 pm

I spent over a year trying to convince my dr to refer me to the Bariactric Network. Mid December she told me yes she would go ahead and do it.

Last week I called the Bariactric Network to see if they had my referrel ...they said no.

So I called my Dr office the secretary said yes I was now referred but...the Dr had referred me to the medical program not the surgical which is what I wanted.

She said the dr told her I do not qualify for the surgical.

I am 46

5.5. 220lbs. BMI 36.4

I have high blood pressure which the dr prescribed me meds for.

Arthritis 

Raynards

Hypothyroid 

And stress incontinance.

I belive I qualify according to the Bariactric Network website based upon my height weight. BMI and high blood pressure.

If I call the network will they switch me to the surgical program.

I really do not want to go back to my dr...as she has made it clear she obviously does not agree with my choice.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I live in the Simcoe region...if that makes any difference

Thank you all

Leslie W.
on 2/26/17 3:59 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You will need the referral from md or nurse practitioner

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Cwood
on 2/26/17 4:06 pm

My Dr did refer me...to the medical program. But we had agreed on the surgical.

So...your saying I need to go back and get another refer ?

Jaype83
on 2/26/17 4:08 pm

Changing doctor would be your best bet! 

They also want to know if you tried different ways to lose weight ... like weigh****chers, slim-fast, crazy diets and so on. 

Plus there is a process  of about 1 year before surgery... you have to go through nurses, psychologists, social workers, dietitians, nutritional class and so go before the doctor approves you fro surgery. 

I bugged my doctor for 2 years.... then he sent my referral.  

I am 33, border line diabetic, one kidney, no gallbladder, 5'5 220 LBS.

Good Luck!!

JAY

Referral March 2016 - Orientation June 6/16  - Nurse July 11/16 -  Social Worker Sept 12/16

Nut class Sept 19/16 - Dietitian Oct 7/16Phyc Nov 9/16 - Surgeon Feb 3/17Surgery April 24/17  

Cwood
on 2/26/17 4:16 pm

So....I need to go through this all again.

Trying to find a new dr...which is not easy where I live...then having my files transferred. Then convincing them I need the surgwry.

This is crazy...how this one dr can mess up things so bad.

Will the Bariactric Network not look at my file and see that I am a candidate for surgery?

Jaype83
on 2/26/17 4:22 pm

Im not sure but since your ppw is there maybe you can try.  

Referral March 2016 - Orientation June 6/16  - Nurse July 11/16 -  Social Worker Sept 12/16

Nut class Sept 19/16 - Dietitian Oct 7/16Phyc Nov 9/16 - Surgeon Feb 3/17Surgery April 24/17  

Cwood
on 2/26/17 4:29 pm

All I want to do is cry at this point.

So fed up.

It took over a year to get the referal in the first place and now she's screwed it all up

Patm
on 2/27/17 4:51 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Simple answer is no. The surgical referral must come from a doctor. If you see any other doctors you an try them

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/26/17 9:11 am - Canada

It doesn't have to be your regular doctor.  I have even saw people on here getting referrals from walking in clinics. Based on your height weight bmi...I don't believe you qualify.... but with the co morbidities  ( as they call them ) yes maybe you would.

I know your frustration..my family dr. screwed me over as well, and his over sight cost me an extra 6mths of waiting.  My advice is to get snotty with your current Dr and have her re submit OR find someone new and more supportive of your wants because you will need them later on down the road after surgery and you'll want a good relationship.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Cwood
on 2/26/17 5:32 pm, edited 2/26/17 9:32 am

I have checked the Bariactric Network website.  I need to have a BMI of 36 or above for my height and weight...with 1 medical comoditie .my BMI is above 36...and my high blood pressure is a comoditie.

I have no idea why she is saying I don't qualify. I have called and left a message for her to call me and explain why.

A walk in clinic would not have my medical history....so I don't think they would be able to refer me....but it's worth a try.

Most Active
Recent Topics