One Month to GO!

rce884
on 2/27/17 1:44 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

I have exactly a month until my surgery. the 27th of March. i am excited. and a bit scared. i mean that is only natural. i think. it is a big deal going under the knife. i know you all have had such positive experiences. but i just have a quiver of nervousness. but yeah i am feeling mostly positive about the whole thing. 

i couldn't sleep Friday night and was at my mums place. she had all my paper work there. ( i have it at home now) so i was reviewing my post and pre-op plans. i was also looking for recipes and good activities to start working on when i am home for the first little bit. 

how are all the post surgery OH Peeps doing. especially the newly minted ones? is there anything you can recommend. 

what to take to the hospital?

who if anyone should i bring wtih me?

how long does surgery take?

was it really painful waking up and getting home? ( i recall someone saying the ride home was fierce and i have a long way to go. Toronto to Newcastle)

i have a chance to take a break on my ride home go half way and then take some time before the other half. should i excercise this option or did you feel better just getting home?

Any other tips and tricks for the Whole HOSPITAL part of this?

appriciate all the help

Cheers (non alcoholic, bubble free, caffeine free cheers)

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Emily613
on 2/27/17 3:58 pm
RNY on 02/24/17

hey girl! You must be so excited and hopefully time will fly by! I was so nervous as well. This was my first ever surgery and I was scared. When I showed up at the hospital 3 hrs before my surgery time I was taking deep breaths slowly getting ready for the long wait ahead of me when all of a sudden a gentleman had come in to wheel me down to the OR cause they were ready for me now eeeek! Everything happened so fast and the next thing I remembered the surgeon was patting my arm telling me the surgery went great :) I believe the surgery took 1 and 1/2 hrs and the only issue I had was feeling like I was going to be sick when I was waking up. I had no issues with the meds they gave me after surgery so I was feeling good and just slightly uncomfortable when it was time for more meds. As for what to pack I would bring a robe to cover your gown while you walk the halls and maybe a book cause I had a hard time sleeping. But before you know it you will be able to be discharged the next day. At least that is what happened in Ottawa for me. I would definitely have someone with you seeing that you will need them to get you home. I was lucky that my ride home was just under an hour and I left right after medication time. If you have anymore questions just ask. I'm happy to help! Take care

Emily

leeann73
on 2/27/17 5:18 pm

It is so exciting. Here are a few things from me

• I asked for Ativan ahead of time and it really helped to calm me down 
  • I didn't wear anything I brought so pack light. I used my slippers, chap stick and changed my undies. That was it. I wore their gowns. One in the front and one in the back
  • if you can take a break on the way home that would help. My drive was 3 hours and I was in horrible pain when I got home
  • my surgery was 3 hours. Barely remember the recovery room. First day is a blur
  • My husband was with me
  • you will need someone to drive you home

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Teena D.
on 2/28/17 5:52 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Wow, that's great that it's so close now! 

Everyone's pain level is different- my friend recommended I use a pillow betweenthe seatbelt and my stomach, but I didn't need it. My drive was similar to yours- I was in Guelph for surgery, and only went as far as Milton right after the surgery but the next day, we went home to Courtice. I was in hospital for 2 days which is standard for Guelph. I took 1 regular strength Tylenol on the Saturday and haven't had anything for pain since.

My mom and husband were with me the day of surgery and the next day. There was a lot of waiting around on the day of the surgery, so it's good to have some company. 

I don't recommend bringing your own pyjamas- one of my incisions started bleeding which is quite normal- and I was glad it was on a gown, and not my own clothes. Plus, 2 gowns work better around the IV then your own pjs - in my opinion. Bring slippers, hairbrush, toothpaste and toothbrush, I brought my own bodywash and shampoo.  Earplugs are a good idea- you don't know who you will be sharing a room with. Chapstick and hand moisturizer. Hospitals are way too dry. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Linda M.
on 2/28/17 6:01 am - Orillia, Canada

Congratulations.  I'm three weeks tomorrow and am thinking more about what to put in my Opti (dry seasonings like pumpkin spice and cinnamon or Lorann syrups from Bulk Barn).  This site is great and it is made up of caring people who are going through their own journeys and sharing.  There is an article as to what to bring to the hospital and I think what Leeann said is true - we all overpack.

I'm going home in the clothes I go to the hospital in.  I'm bringing slippers and a housecoat - I also plan to wear their gowns.  Chapstick, Kobo, phone and charger (probably won't use much), healthcard and insurance.  Everyone said they brought too much.  I'm not worried at this point, but the Ativan seems like a good idea if I'm experiencing some jitters before hand.

It's funny to me the stages we go through.  Wonder going through all the steps leading up to passing rounds, to impatience as we wait for a date, to trepidation as we get closer.  I keep saying it, but we are so fortunate to have a healthcare system in place to make this tool available to us and I'm thankful for those on this site that make it such a valuable resource and source of encouragement and support.

You've got this.  Best of luck.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Most Active
Recent Topics