Relationship with food

Jaype83
on 3/17/17 10:01 pm

Hello everyone

My surgery date is is approaching ... Im extremely nervous and excited at the same time however I cant stop thinking about how its going to be my relationship with food after surgery...I love to eat....Just the feeling of being hungry and being able to eat its the best ever...but my problem is that Ijust keep on eating ??????????

Deep down Im afraid of failure ... Im afraid OF FREAKING OUT because I cant eat...

Anyone else went through this ?? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Referral March 2016 - Orientation June 6/16  - Nurse July 11/16 -  Social Worker Sept 12/16

Nut class Sept 19/16 - Dietitian Oct 7/16Phyc Nov 9/16 - Surgeon Feb 3/17Surgery April 24/17  

Smoka
on 3/18/17 4:36 am
RNY on 09/12/17

H Jaype83...I am feeling the same way, but decided that I have to do something about it. (I don't have a surgery date yet). I ordered the book, "The Emotional First Aid Kit", by Cynthia Alexander, and that is helping quite a bit. It has motivated me to track my food, exercise, and keep a log of my feelings. Hope this helps.

Jaype83
on 3/18/17 4:52 am

It does! Thanks.

Referral March 2016 - Orientation June 6/16  - Nurse July 11/16 -  Social Worker Sept 12/16

Nut class Sept 19/16 - Dietitian Oct 7/16Phyc Nov 9/16 - Surgeon Feb 3/17Surgery April 24/17  

Wayne H.
on 3/18/17 8:35 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Using a Journal/Daily log is a very important tool in this process. It helped me to realize what I was putting into my body and really did prepare me for Life after surgery. I still journal.

Wayne H.
on 3/18/17 8:33 am, edited 3/18/17 1:38 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Jaypee,

I think you will find most of us feel that way prior to surgery. Me especially but I found as I progressed through the Optifast stages, I had nothing to worry about. I learned that my mental toughness is incredibly strong, especially when you go to bed one night eating solids, then waking up knowing you are on a liquid diet for 3 weeks but you know what? In hind site I had nothing to worry about. The Opti was filling and I found both the Vanilla and Chocolate to be very tasty. In other words, I did not really miss the foods but did think of them often. I figured if I cheated during Opti, then perhaps I was not mentally ready for the Surgery and life change. That was the first hurdle. I impressed myself to be honest. I quit smoking after 35 years, I dumped the Pop and I cut out the crap foods that almost killed me. I feel like I can do anything now.

The second Hurdle I worried about after surgery was what could I eat and how much? Could I do it.

Well, it's amazing and although I am about 6 weeks post-op at this point, I have no problems eating the foods I liked before and have adjusted many eats to eliminate the crap. The quantity fear?... not there because once you eat a 1/2 cup or cup... you simply cannot put anymore in without it backing up into your throat because it has nowhere to go and you end up throwing up. It's like your body regulates your intake anyway. That and the fact that in your head you know "If I eat too much, I will stretch my stomach or worse, burst the new pouch".

In the end, you will not overeat simply because a- you cannot without consequence and B - what was the point of having the surgery done then?

Does that mean I can walk into a cafeteria and eye candy all the goodies and not want them? Not really but when you know you can only eat a small quantity anyway, why fill up on garbage when you need Protein Protein Protein therefore the junk stays on the shelves for the next person. I have no room in my life for that crap anymore and really do not desire it when Protein comes first.

Hope that makes sense? All the best, you will be fine. Just make sure you are doing this for the right reason and forget about the mental triggers that encourage failure. I can't believe I went from mega meals to eating like a bunny now but hey, It's awesome and very rewarding as pounds melt away without feeling hungry. It's nice that I can still enjoy the foods I always loved, just in smaller amounts and that's perfectly fine. Whoops---there goes another pair of pants I've shrunken out of :-)

Jaype83
on 3/18/17 9:07 am

Hi Wayne,

Thank you so much for you awesome reply. You just told me EVERYTHING I needed to hear you ... you just gave me the little push I needed in order to fell confident and keep on going.

Thank you so much ... !!!!

Wayne H.
on 3/18/17 9:16 am, edited 3/18/17 2:17 am
RNY on 02/08/17

My pleasure. Feel free to post any questions or concerns here. I am 100% certain others will chime in with thier own encouraging words for you as well. Its what we do here and I am very grateful to those who helped my on this amazing journey.

Just program your mind to look forward, not backwards. I never ever though I would lose the weight I already have and now I am 99lbs away from goal. A lot closer than when I was 404lbs and 174 lbs away. :-)

You are already a winner for deciding on life change.

Jaype83
on 3/18/17 11:06 am

Wow.. congratulations....!!!! Keep up the good work.

ans thanks again!

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/18/17 2:57 pm - Windsor, Canada

The mental component for surgery is HUGE. You have to resolve yourself to doing everything by the book as much as you can. Food will ALWAYS be there. It is not going away. BUT you will have only one chance to lose your weight so you have to really put your mind on that with drive and determination.

Resolving or working on your eating issues is huge. Finding new foods is huge. Finding new habits is essential.

Surgery itself will only keep you in line for so long. The first year was easy because I followed my plan and didn't stray very often. I was very much a person of routine. Past that it will get much harder and your bad habits and old issues will return. When you struggle contact your centre for supports. Use your support group to find mentors and friends to cheer you on in your journey.

All the best

dawn.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/19/17 6:35 am - Canada

We ALL fear failure !!! Likely because we have all tried and failed soooo many times in the past.

If you are feeling that your life revolves around food right now.....you are in luck...that will not change. You will spend the rest of your life thinking about what you eat, when, why, how!!! Your life's focus will remain food....however your habits will change. You will eat..just differently!! And if you are like most of us that went this route as a last resort.......you will see so many positive changes in your life as a result of your new habits.... that it will inspire you to stay on the straight and narrow.

My best advice...TRY NOT TO PANIC OR THINK TOO MUCH AHEAD, BREATHE.....TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Most Active
Recent Topics