What are you eating/doing Friday?

Ginnny
on 3/24/17 4:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Post Op RNY 11+ mos

Happy Friday morning all! We made it. Desperate times call for desperate measures. WTH ... down 1.1. lbs....up 1.2....net up .1. I'm ready to give up. Clearly my body has said enough. Well we'll see about that. One last ditch effort....I don't think I'll be at the gym this weekend so maybe a couple days of liquid diet will kick that scale in the numbers (I can't do that when I have a workout because I wouldn't get through it). Or maybe I'm done, but at 11 months out, I would have thought there is more to lose. Sorry to keep whining about this but I'm a person that needs to understand the science and this case I just can't. Sitting at 189 you'd think I could lose with a daily calorie intake in the 1000 - 1100 range. Will discuss at my 1 year follow up but I'm sure they'll tell me to eat more carbs....is that the (right) answer?

My blood work all looks good (to me) with the exception of a high phosphate level, I have no idea if that's important or not, again, we'll see on April 6th when I see the doc.

B - premier protein shake

S - skyr yogurt with coconut clusters (20 gr for crunch)

L - going out with a friend....likely a salad with some type of chicken

S - deli turkey (4 slices)

D - premier protein

Total (without lunch) Cal 604, carbs 31, Protein 89

If I need something tonight it will be more deli turkey or another shake.

Have a great day ladies and Wayne

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

birdiegirl
on 3/24/17 4:32 am

DON'T give up. You are not done losing. Keep following the plan. How about those measurements from the last time you took them?

May I ask how tall you are?

Ginnny
on 3/24/17 4:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Funny, I just asked you the same question on yesterday's post. I'm 5'11.

birdiegirl
on 3/24/17 4:46 am

So 160 for you may be a tough goal. Not unattainable, just tough. You also have to set a goal that's not just attainable, but sustainable. Maybe 170 is going to be perfect for you. YOU will know what feels right when you get there.

Also, remember it goes slower the closer you get to goal. You likely still have losing to do. Just don't "give up" and now start eating too much.

I'm 5'8".

Monica9811
on 3/24/17 4:48 am - Peterborough, Canada

Ginny quit obsessing with the damn scale! Post that picture you sent me a while back so they see what 189lbs looks like on you. A skinny ***** is what it looks like haha. Have a great weekend!

Meggles07
on 3/24/17 5:34 am - Canada

Good morning :)

So I drove all the way to campus yesterday, we sat for about 20 minutes and then had to cancel the meeting because there weren't enough people.

Today I have physio and a facial. I haven't had one of those in years. I'm curious to see how my skin feels after. Then tonight a friend is coming over for a visit. She works and commutes, so it wouldn't be fair to have any pets yet. So she is an aunt to my puppies.

Breakfast - yogurt, banana

Snack - sausage, cheese

Lunch - chicken, pickles

Snack - pepperette, yogurt

Dinner - beef and veg

Snack - pudding

All water and vits.

crqvingchange
on 3/24/17 6:45 am

Good morning everyone. Ginny just hang in there, Guelph told me that I should be consuming 600-800 calories per day during the losing phase.

Today I have lots of paperwork, phone calls to make, and errands. DH is working from home today, so I'll see how much I get done.

The eats today at 2.5 years post-op are:

scrambled eggs with hot peppers and fresh salsa

salad with flat iron steak on top

chicken breast with some gravy and a side salad

and loads of decaf throughout the day.

Have a great Friday everyone.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Daisydoo02
on 3/24/17 8:22 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hey Ginny! Happy Friday!

First don't give up, I fully appreciate your frustration! Our weight and the scale can consume us right! First off I hope you realize how awesome you have done so far. Almost 92 lbs in 11 months is so fantastic! Although I know you want to see a specific number on the scale (we all do/did) please don't forget to be proud of how far you have come in 11 months!

Personally I think you are eating too many calories if you want to continue to lose. And yes I know your Centre/NUT probably says to eat 1000-1100 right? Well did she/he have gastric bypass? Probably not. In my losing phase I kept my calories around 600 - 700, that was while I was actively trying to lose weight. I am now 3 yrs & 5 months post op and I don't like to go over 850 calories, some days I get up to 950 if I have a treat but never over a 1000. I am very active (I hike my dogs daily and now that the good weather is coming I will get back outside and start my 5k and 10k runs again) and I don't eat my calories back. Yes your Centre will most likely tell you to eat more food and more carbs, please don't. I like to keep my totals around 850 calories, 100 grams of protein and 30-40 carbs a day max. That's what works for me and I am in maintenance.

I can tell you that since having the RNY surgery I eat very "weirdly" because its all about getting my protein in any way I can and that often means eating "food" for breakfast like tuna or shrimp. My latest kick is a salad loaded with crumbled bacon! I measure out 1/2 cup of romaine lettuce, 4 slices of crispy bacon crumbed on top and 1 tbsp of Cesar dressing with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top. Its mostly a bacon salad with a bit of lettuce LOL LOL and really filling!!! I have often had 4 slices of deli turkey breast with 2 slices of Swiss cheese (1/2 slice swiss cheese per turkey slice) & honey mustard "roll ups" as my dinner. Shakes will not fill you up and you will be looking for more food, dense protein will fill you up and keep you not wanting anything until the next meal or snack. Do you like kielbasa? I love to grill up 4 - 6 slices of kielbasa on the bbq and eat with a tbsp of ketchup, so filling! I eat that as a snack and I have often scrambled one egg with 4 slices of grilled kielbasa for dinner.

I know you can do this and get to the goal you have for yourself, look how successful you have been so far. Sometimes we all just get into a food rut and need to mix it up and add in some different protein, but you got this!! Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great weekend!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Ginnny
on 3/24/17 11:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Daisy, thank you for taking the time to respond. I know you are going through a lot right now and I hope everything is progressing well with your parents.

I watched your menu posts religiously. I definitely don't eat my calories back but I often wonder how people get by with so little calories. I'm not bound by traditional food for each meal. I can eat roast beef for breakfast or whatever. I try to keep my calories below 1000 but will heed your advice in that, that is still too much. Unfortunately I don't like shrimp or any seafood really, and have been trying different types of fish lately but it's really not my thing.

I'll try some of your suggestions and see if I can get filled up on that. My protein numbers are high but as you suggest my calories are on the high side. I'll do a review and see what's driving them up. On the days I work out I try to time my snacks closer to work out time so that I don't need extra food.

I can't get my mind around the fact that for my weight (189) that maintenance calories would be in the 1800 range. I'm typically in the 1000 calorie range (to go over has me freaking out a little) and yet the scale doesn't move. That boggles my mind.

Again, thanks for your input, and you have a great weekend as well. Watch for a slightly modified menu next week!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Smoka
on 3/24/17 5:25 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi Ginnny,

I am sorry that you are struggling, but I too think what Daisy has posted is so inspirational...thanks Daisy!. So, at the moment I am following myfitnesspal and tracking all of my food. I am pre-surgery and I am not allowed to go below BMI of 35 (I have 2 comorbidities) or they will not allow me to have the surgery. I was told this at the orientation. I am still waiting for a surgery date. So, this puts me in a precarious position, I want to begin following a plan to prepare myself for life after surgery and to be as healthy as possible for surgery, but I can't loose too much weight. I have been struggling with this since my orientation (last July). When I went on myfitnesspal, I adjusted my calories so that I would lose weight very slowly, so that by the time that I think that I may be called for surgery, my BMI will be just slightly above 35. I tell you all of this because, I have set my calories to 1800 and this is is suppose to ensure that I lose 1 pound a week (according to myfitnesspal). Anyway, these numbers do not seem to jive with 1800 that you have been told to for maintenance. I think I would go with Daisy's numbers. I want to have the success that she has had so I would do what she is doing.

Most Active
Recent Topics