coping post surgery with work ....

leeann73
on 3/29/17 7:41 am

I have a very entailed job working often up to 60 - 70 hours a week, after hours, etc ... before surgery when I had deadlines to meet (which I have right now) and pressure (which I always have) - I would load up on caffeine, high carbs, and sugar and just plug away ... today, I don't have that coping mechanism ... and today I have said to myself -- work is too much - you need boundaries

so - good thing - I have finally learned (today), that I am doing too much and to keep up that level, I hurt myself. I don't want to hurt myself anymore so I am seriously thinking of making some significant changes to my work load -just not sure how to do that yet - plus only 5 weeks out so need to make sure I give myself time to settle into this

I can't say I haven't looked at the brownies I made for the kids ... I have looked - good thing I am too afraid to be sick so I haven't gone there .... LOL

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Starnaenae
on 3/29/17 8:24 am

i think its a good thing that you are recognizing this early on in the game and willing to make a change. Dont allow yourself to fail. Always make sure that you have water and a protein dense food option around... caffiene is no longer an option, HOWEVER... you will see as the weight continues to come off your energy levels are waaaaaaaaaaaay higher so its great!!! this is a whole lifestyle change for you, whi*****ludes the office too... i carry gum with me everywhere i go... it helps with the habits and ALWAYS have water with me... i smoked up until 5 days before surgery... and when i came back to work, the routine was tough to break but i would just ge****er and go for a little walk and it helped... look for different things to do... go for a walk around the office, go get a glass of water.. get up stretch... try and do things differently and ensure that it supports your new lifestyle and ensures that you wont fall back into old habits!!!!! we are all here to support one another... feel free to message me if you want to just chat :)

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Linda M.
on 3/29/17 1:57 pm - Orillia, Canada

Hi Lee-ann,

Many of us do too much - professionally and personally. The more we take on the more we seem to get given to us. Thankfully I'm still to low on energy to take on much at present, but I know I will be in the same spot as you are soon. Ask for help, review your job responsibilities with your manager and have a team meeting with your own staff - if any of this is possible . I will be back April 10 - with little flexibility working on my own so no set lunch or breaks and no going out for a walk. However, I know I'll make the changes I need to make because, through this entire process, I have learned I need to put myself first. I'm looking forward to the forecasted higher energy. So much to learn, but I know you'll do it.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Most Active
Recent Topics